c h a p t e r four : hangover revelations

"Did you just thank him?" Charlie asked as we made it outside, all the party-goers flooding out from the Pembrookes' house around us. I looked up to see her teasing smirk and opened my mouth to answer.

"Sofia! Laura! Charlie!" We turned to see Beth making her way down the lawn towards us, Harry a few paces behind still talking with his friends.

Laura bumped her shoulder into mine, "Who the hell was that?"

I flushed. "I don't know."

Charlie slapped my arm. "Dammnn Sofia!"

His face flashed in my mind, that full mouth and what it could do –

"How was it? Was he good? He looked like he was good," Charlie asked leaning on my shoulder.

Good didn't describe it. How could it when just his kisses made my body ignite and my skin feel like it was on fire? Was that how it was supposed to be? Was kissing always like that? I managed to dip my head in a nod before Beth finally reached us just as we heard the screech of sirens at a distance.

"Let's get in the car," Harry said as he joined us and after Charlie kissed Luke Fallon goodbye, we all hurried to the car and bundled in.

After the initial chatter, the conversation died down in the car and succumbed to the quiet, Coldplay playing over Harry's radio. Laura had her head propped on my shoulder and Charlie was starting to yawn. My eyes were just beginning to droop as we turned down my road.

"Thanks, Harry," I murmured as we coasted to a stop outside my house. It was dark, not a single light on. The others murmured their thanks sleepily and he waved us off in the mirror as we clambered out of the car.

"Bye girls!" Beth whispered as we got out and I turned to smile and wave at her before Harry pulled the car from the curb.

Laura and Charlie dragged their feet behind me as we stumbled up the porch steps and I fumbled with the house key pod, still a little drunk from the way the numbers on the padlock looked a little blurred. Eventually, I got it open and took the key from inside, then opened the door itself. I pressed my finger to my lips, reminding Charlie and Laura to stay quiet, then we walked inside.

I heard the telling jingle of Bozo's collar as he shook, waking up enough to trot towards us as we shut the door. I checked my phone to see it was half two in the morning. I hadn't even registered how long we had been there. How long had I danced with Chris and the guys? How long had I kissed the hot stranger?

"You guys want anything?" I asked Laura and Charlie as they came in behind me. "Water, snacks..." I turned around and Laura was on the floor stroking Bozo and Charlie was stifling a yawn.

"I want sleep." Laura smiled lazily and Charlie nodded in agreement. I nodded.

"Let's go then."

Upstairs, I put clean sheets on the blow-up beds that mum must have inflated while we were out and gave them both fresh pillows and duvets before we all crashed, too tired to change.

###

Sunlight streamed through the open window the next morning and I groaned against the light and pounding in my head. I winced through the pain and opened my eyes. Charlie and Laura were still asleep, Laura with an arm flung over her head, Charlie with her mouth open and snoring. I looked over to my clock. It was nearly noon. I groaned again, looking down at my dress, wrapped around in the wrong places from my sleep, and knew without looking at my face that my make up hadn't fared well. Easing back the covers, I got out of bed gingerly so not to upset my head – or the rolling nausea in my stomach and padded out of the room before I woke the girls. I slipped into the bathroom and took a full shower, removing my makeup and massaging my favourite peach-scented body wash into my skin and then the matching shampoo into my hair. When I stepped out and wrapped a fresh towel around me, I cleaned my teeth and washed my face with skin tonic, erasing every sign that last night ever happened. When I stepped back into the hallway, I could hear Laura's rapid talking and Charlie's brash laugh combined with the voices from downstairs. I dressed quickly in my room, observing the discarded party clothes from Charlie and Laura on the floor, grabbing a plain tank top and shorts and pushing my sunglasses up my forehead to hold back my wet hair.