c h a p t e r two : wine drunk

"I'm home," I called out as I walked through the front door. The house was quiet, the whir of the lawnmower carrying through the house.

"Mum?" I called out, dumping my keys in the key-bowl as I passed through the kitchen.

There was a jingle and a panting and Bozo rounded the kitchen island, his tongue lolling and tail wagging. I bent down to ruffle his ears.

"Hey Bozo, where is everyone?" I cooed. He yawned in my face.

"Thanks, buddy. You were a great help," I replied with a pat on his head, then straightened up.

In the living room, the French doors were wide open, the gauzy white curtains billowing out in the slight breeze. I walked out to the back patio. Dad mowed the lawn as mum sat on the bench-swing reading, glasses on and her hair piled on the top of her head with a pencil stuck through the mass of curls. She always kept a pencil nearby, in case she wanted to scribble a note down about a new idea for a book format. She looked up as a panting Bozo barged his way past me, wet nose grazing my calves, down the steps and then flopped out on the grass to bask in the warmth of the sun.

"Hi honey, did you have a nice time?" Mum asked, moving a couple of mock-up books off the seat beside her for me to sit down.

"Yeah. Kind of. I got a milkshake so..." I smiled, taking the seat beside her before Bozo stole it.

"Connor texted. He said he saw you," She said.

"He did." I looked out further down the garden to the peach trees, where dad was attempting to manoeuvre the lawnmower around each one that had fallen to the ground.

"Did he tell you?" She asked me and I quirked an eyebrow.

"About the party?"

"What party?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Oh, I'm probably not going to go," I replied, waving my hand in dismissal, "but Victoria invited me and my friends to Jodie's summer party."

She sat back again. "Why not? It sounds like fun."

"Hmm. I'm not so sure. But I'll consider it."

She returned my smile and followed my gaze to the garden. It looked beautiful in the summer, all the bright violet and amber flower bushes in full bloom. Enough work went into it – the garden was dad's baby.

"So, what was it you thought Connor had told me?" I asked, blinking back to my mum.

She pressed her lips together and I tensed. That was her you're-not-going-to-like-this face. I braced myself.

"Connor's friend from Bath is going to be staying with us for the next few weeks." She gave me an apologetic smile. I let out a puff of relief.

"Jeez mum, I thought you were going to say something like 'you're going to summer camp' or something."

"You aren't mad?" Her eyebrows raised over her glasses.

"No? It doesn't really change anything right? They'll be staying in the guest room I'm assuming?"

"Well, I guess not. And yes, the guest room.

"Then I'm cool with it." She still looked surprised. "I'm a little offended you underestimate me so," I said in a melodramatic voice as I walked back inside and I could see the smile on her face as she shook her head. 

"He arrives this evening!" She called out and I stuck a thumbs-up out the door.

Inside, I slid my phone from my back pocket and thumbed through to my recent calls and pressed on the picture of Beth with her eyes crossed and her tongue stuck out.