3

The week between me and Addy getting our disguises at Treggie's and our departure for Anadale flew by. Even after everything that we'd already figured out, there was still so much to do.

I spent a bulk of the week in the studio, cramming a month's worth of work into seven days. With the few hours I had left, we pre-filmed videos in a plethora of different outfits for announcements to my fans, and the rest of the time, I attempted to sleep. The countless times at night when I was alone in my room that I nearly had another breakdown made it more than apparent I was doing the right thing in taking time off.

I still didn't feel settled though, despite the fact we'd successfully avoided paparazzi by flying out of San Diego and managed to find a secluded bathroom to get changed into our covers after we went through security. Everything was going smoothly, yet I still felt paranoid.

We'd been on the plane to Connecticut for what felt like days. Being stuck in such a confined space and with only a small TV screen to distract myself made it hard to keep from thinking too much. I felt terrible for Addy—or rather, Reagan—as I continuously bumped into her because I couldn't sit still.

I must've looked a little worse for wear because she looped her arm around mine. I was thankful to have at least one of my sisters to get me through this.

I closed my eyes just in time for the seatbelt light to click on. The dinging sound that signaled we'd be landing soon sounded like a bell tolling the onset of a new reality. A reality that could either make or break me.

The airport was surprisingly crowded when Addy and I exited the terminal. It took all my agility to avoid getting knocked over by a running businessman trailing a suitcase behind him. All of this hustle and bustle reminded me of LAX, sending a twinge of homesickness through me.

I felt a tug on my arm and looked at Addison. She pointed out into the sea of people. "How are we supposed to get to Aunt Mil's? Did you call her like Mom said?"

I tensed when I realized that I hadn't. "Yeah—uh—about that. . ."

She stared at me in disbelief. "You forgot to call?" When I didn't respond, she slapped her forehead. "Evie, please tell me you're joking! We're at least an hour or two from Aunt Mil's. What happened?"

"I—I don't know. I just. . . forgot?"

"Forgot? You never forget anything!"

I breathed deeply before running a hand through my wig and grasping the roots. "I'm just off, okay. I don't know if you've noticed but this is the farthest thing from normal in the universe." I started sorting through my purse for my phone. "I'll just call her now."

"So, we're basically stuck here for two hours?"

"Well, Mom said she has this weird thing against Ubers and taxis, so yeah, I guess so." I grumbled under my breath, dialed my aunt's number, then placed the phone to my ear. "Who knows, maybe Mom told her we took off, and she's been tracking the flight."

Turns out, she hadn't been.

After the call with Aunt Mil ended, I felt winded and on-edge. There was just something about her that sucked the energy out of you. She was a fast talker—loud too—and she never stopped. Ever. And you never knew what she would say, or even do, next.

When I had turned eight, she'd gifted me a set of kitchen knives, and when I was eleven, she'd given me the talk in front of my entire family, Adam's too.

"What did she say?" Addison got off the bag she was sitting on and stood up. "Is she coming to get us?"

"Well, the plants on her patio are doing well," I told her, recounting the first thing Aunt Mil had gone on a tangent about. "She's busy doing something, heaven knows what, but I think she said she's sending over her neighbor. I didn't catch his name."