1

Hollywood, California | Three years later

In three. Out five.

In three. Out five.

I did my best to take steady breaths as I rested my hands in my lap, adrenaline pumping through my veins. Addison and Cassidy were in the limousine seats beside me, chatting idly, while our mom and dad were across from us, already having a little glass of champagne.

With me working on my second album, Cassidy on a press tour, my dad filming, and Addy and mom going back and forth from Addison's modeling jobs, my family hadn't been all together like this since five months ago. It was ironic that, nowadays, our once close-knit unit saw each other more at public events than we did in our own home.

Fidgeting with my hands, I examined my nails. They perfectly matched my off-white, jewel-studded dress. We were all dressed in different pastel colors. Addy, the youngest, in a pure white and Cassidy, the oldest, in a light shade of golden yellow. It was the night of Cassidy's latest movie's premiere, and she had to stand out from the three of us while we still looked cohesive.

"We're pulling up now!" Mickey, our driver, called to us from the front seat.

Through the window on the far side, I could see people bustling around the red carpet's entrance a few yards away. Even through the tint, flashing bulbs and lights were visible.

I gripped the hem of my dress tightly. I could feel my heartbeat pick up pace, and my breathing becoming shallow. I did my best to push the feelings away.

Grabbing my cell phone out of my clutch bag, I turned on the camera and checked my reflection. No mascara streaks—check. Lip gloss evenly applied—check. Not one hair out of place—double check. This was a big night, and the paparazzi would look for any minor flaw to plaster all over next week's tabloids.

When we got to the start of the carpet, Mickey jumped out of the car and ran around to Cassidy's door. She would be the first one to step out and greet whoever was waiting.

When the car door flew open, all one could hear was screams. My entire body tensed up. One after another, Cassidy and Addison filed out of the car. The shouting increased in volume. It was as if my butt was glued to the seat. I couldn't move.

"Evie."

I fixated my gaze on the crowd outside. There were so many of them. So many cameras. So many opportunities to catch me falter. I opened my mouth to respond to my mother, but no words came out.

"Evelyn."

Mom's hand came down lightly over mine on my lap, and I flinched. I turned to her, and a concerned look overtook her face.

She averted her attention to my father. "You go with the girls. Tell them to get started. Evie and I will catch up."

She and my dad stared at each other in silence for a few seconds, seemingly having a conversation that didn't need words. Dad nodded at her, before giving me a comforting smile and placing his hand over mine and my mom's. "Okay. We'll see you out there soon, kiddo."

I returned the grin, despite the fact that inside I was a disaster. A cocktail of anxiousness, anger, and disappointment surged through me. This shouldn't have been this bad anymore. I should've been able to get out of this car.

The screams of the premiere's spectators became muffled when my dad closed the car door behind him.

"What happened last week won't happen again."

At my mother's words, I bit my bottom lip and started to smooth out my dress.

I knew exactly what she was talking about.