Chapter Three

Kate nervously sat down at her desk after lunch. It was English, her favourite subject. It will be okay, she reassured herself, He may not even be in my classYet part of her was certain that he would be. Her intuition was proved correct when Ms. Kelly called for the class' attention for an 'announcement.'

"Class, we have a new student that will be joining us today. Please give him a warm welcome." Kate noticed her hands trembling. That was never a good sign. Ms. Kelly continued, "I'd like to introduce Harry Miller."

Kate's heart was in her mouth as she watched the figure stride into the room. She realised she had been holding her breath and exhaled quickly. Her eyes rested on Harry. She felt like she was hallucinating. Indeed, the only time she had seen the boy since freshman year was in her dreams.

Kate soon found herself lost in the memories that swirled around her flustered mind: Never ending summers spent by the lake, their treehouse in the woods beside her house, admiring numerous constellations through a telescope in his room, water gun fights in the backyard, long conversations that ran into the early hours of the morning...

His voice interrupted her thoughts, "Hey," he said as he raised his hand slightly, addressing the class before him. Kate realised she had been staring, transfixed, at her desk in front of her and cautiously looked up at the boy.

He was taller than she remembered- his hair was shorter, cut in a fashionable style. Fashionable. That was simply not a word she had associated with Harry. Yet as she looked at his clothes, she realised that that was what he was now. He had changed. Just like her.

Her eyes trailed up to his face. She was somewhat relieved that she still recognised his features- they had remained the same. However something had changed around his bewitching blue eyes- they were no longer shy and timid. He had a confident air about him, his gaze lazily shifting from student to student as Ms. Kelly spoke. Kate was watching him, unsure about what to think or feel. Then their eyes met for the first time in what felt like decades. Kate silently gasped. She felt herself tense. Their eyes had only locked for a few seconds, yet it could have been years. Harry quickly glanced away, as a sad smile crossed his lips.

"Alright Harry, you can sit down at the desk at the back. We will be discussing 'Shall I compare Thee' again today, class- so books out." The whole class watched as Harry took his seat. Amy threw Kate a reassuring smile from her front desk. She was glad she had the support of her friends, even if they didn't know the whole story.

Kate rolled her eyes when she overheard Jessica and May discussing Harry's looks in loud whispers. From the way they talked, it seemed like they had no idea who he was. It seemed as though she was the only student that remembered the 'old' Harry. She pondered whether or not this was a good thing as she stared at the Iambic pentameter before her.

Kate had no idea how to approach Harry, and wondered if she could even do that. Time will tell. She tried to shrug off the feeling of premonition that had come over her.