Chapter 19

“So, are we just going to sit here forever and wait for them to give up?” I asked.

“They won’t give up.  We’re going to have to stop them one way or another.  But for now, yes, we’re just going to sit in here.  This is where we’re staying until I can think of something,” he explained.

“What if they break in?”

“They won’t.  Lexa likes to constantly boast about how the door is so well safeguarded that God himself couldn’t get in without the key, and we have both keys.  Truthfully, I’m pretty sure if God wanted to get in here, God could get in here without a key.  But they don’t think that, so I doubt they’ll even bother trying.”

I sniffled again and curled into him even more.  His arm held me protectively, making me feel slightly safer.  Not much, but a little bit.  What I needed was to get my mind off of the whole thing.  I was safe in here.  I wasn’t going to be murdered in this apartment.  Why stress?

“Do you guys have any movies in here, or anything?” I asked. 

“I think so,” he replied.  I watched as he stood from the couch and walked into one of the doors that came off of the living room.  He emerged a minute later with three DVD cases, and held them up so I could see them.  I pointed to one of them, and he popped it into the DVD player.

We watched the movie like a normal couple, sitting back on the couch with his arm around my shoulder while I curled up into him.  For a few minutes, we stopped watching to make out, but not for long.  Aidan was more focused on devising a plan over kissing.  It distracted him too much.

“All right,” he announced half way through the movie.  “I think I have an idea.”

“Shoot,” I responded.

Aidan’s phone started ringing.  He reached down and answered it, putting it on speakerphone so I could hear everything that was going on, too.

“Get out of the building before we burn it to the ground,” Samantha ordered.

“What building?” Aidan questioned.

“You know damn well what building!  You stole the key, and if you don’t get out of there right now, we will burn this building down.  Get out,” she demanded.  Aidan glanced at me.

“You’re too chicken,” he taunted with a sly grin on his face. 

“You want to find out?” Samantha responded. 

“Where’s Evan?” I asked, realizing he hadn’t been part of the phone call.  As insignificant a fact as it seemed, when I went into defense mode, I noticed every little detail.  And this little detail worried me.  Samantha and Evan were always both part of the conversation.  If he wasn’t talking, he wasn’t there.  So where was he?

My question was answered when the door burst open.  Aidan dropped his phone on the couch, leaving Samantha speaking words that only sounded like gibberish to me.  My heart pounded in my ears as I watched Evan step through the doorway.  The whole thing had been a diversion.

“Thanks for getting her here, Aidan.  Knew we could count on you,” Evan replied.  I tossed him a dirty look.

“Nice try with getting me against Aidan.  Not gonna work,” I replied.  Evan shrugged.

“Eh.  I tried,” he responded.

Aidan stood between Evan and me, preventing me from getting a clear view of exactly what was happening.  Tears welled in my eyes again.  “You’ll be safe in the apartment,” he said.  “They won’t even bother trying to break in,” he said.  So much for that.