Chapter 14

“So, is Homecoming really your scene?  Because I already bought my dress and shoes and everything, so I’m not really planning on staying home,” I explained. 

Aidan hit the balloon and sent it flying back in my direction.  I smacked it back to him, but it bounced off the side of my hand and onto the floor.  Being too lazy to get up and get it, I just lay there on my bed next to him with nothing to do. 

“I’ll go with you.  It’s not that big a deal,” he agreed.  “You’re so lazy.”

“If it requires effort, I’m not going to do it.  I’m quite comfortable where I am, and the balloon isn’t worth it.  And, really?  I can’t imagine you at Homecoming,” I explained. 

I tried to picture him standing in the gym with pulsating music and colorful lights.  It just wasn’t possible.  Especially not if you factored in that he’d be wearing semi-formal clothing, so he’d be in some sort of dress shirt, pants, and a tie.  The image could barely formulate in my mind, and when it did, it was so unbelievable that it didn’t last for long.

“Yeah, well this year will be my first.  But if you’re going, I’m a bit obligated to go, don’t you think?” he pointed out.

“If you don’t want to go, don’t.  I wouldn’t want to force you into something so entirely boring for you,” I replied.

“It won’t be super boring.  I’ve just never had a reason to go before now.  My friends and I aren’t really the types to attend school events, in case you haven’t noticed.”

“You know, I’ve never really met your friends.  I only ever see you.  Well, and Samantha and Evan, but you guys don’t seem to be on the best terms.”

“That’s because Samantha and Evan are selfish assholes.  I don’t want anything to do with them.  That’s why I haven’t let you get your 700 yet.  As soon as they see me, they’re not going to leave me alone.”

“What happened between you guys, anyway?  It had to have been pretty serious if they’re willing to pay 700 dollars to get you back.”

“It’s a really, really long story.  It’ll take more time to explain than you probably think.  And they’re just to the point of desperation.  Maybe if they realized that they’re complete idiots and going about everything entirely wrong, they wouldn’t have to go to crazy measures to talk to me.”

“Going about what wrong?  Seriously, what’s going on between you guys?  I don’t need the detailed version, or anything.  I just want to know.”

“Even the condensed version will take ages.”

“Then give me the condensed condensed version.  I just want to know some stuff about my boyfriend.  Is that so wrong?”

“No.  But there’s so much information—”

“You know plenty about me.  I think it’s about time I start knowing some things about you.  Isn’t that how this whole boyfriend-girlfriend thing works?  That’s how it worked with Isaiah.”

“There are just some things you wouldn’t understand.”

“Things I wouldn’t understand?  What are you, my father?”

“Would you just trust me on this one?  I will tell you, but not right now.  It’s going to take a lot of time, and it’s going to require some other things to happen first.”

“Oh God, now you’re making me prove my trustworthiness?  You know, I’m starting to regret this.  I don’t care how attractive you are.  I’m not going to put up with this bull.”