An Invitation

Silence.

Silence..

Silence...

Deep silence....

He nodded.

,, Good."

                            *   *   *

,, Newt? Newt!" Thomas shook Newt's hand. ,, Newt!"

The boy shook his head and looked down to Thomas.

,, Is everything alright?"

,, I-I..." Where did this memory come from?

,, My newspaper!"

Newt winced. ,, I-I gotta go." He started to turn around but Thomas pulled him back.

,, Come with me." He offered. ,,You're not happy here. I can see that. Please, come with me."

,, I..."

,, Newt, you idiot! Come here!"

,, O-Okay."

Still holding hands, they started running towards Thomas' home.

,, Come back you-" Newt's dad yelled but the boys were already too far to hear the ending.

They ran past few houses and then, Newt started showing up some sights that he was tired.

,, Little more. You can do this." Thomas said encouragingly. He was tired too. Running with a heavy backpack wasn't easy, but he wanted to reach home before they could rest.

Soon, Thomas' blue house began to stand out.

,, There...it...is." He said breathlessly. They reached it and Thomas threw himself lying down. Newt looked like he could throw up at every moment.

,, We...made...huh...it." Without no reason, Thomas started laughing. Newt joined with him.

,, Thomas? Is everything alright?"

Boys turned their heads and saw Thomas' mom, Melissa.

,, Mom?" Thomas stood up quickly and looked at Newt who seemed to be scared. ,,I..."

,, Is this your friend?" Melissa asked and pointed at Newt.

,, Yeah."

,, Oh! That's so sweet!" Melissa came downstairs and lead Newt in.

,, Why didn't you tell me about this?" She asked quietly from Thomas.

,, I...didn't have...time." Thomas lied.
,, School...you know."

,, Okay."

Newt looked over Melissa's shoulder.
,, T-Thomas? You coming?" His voice didn't shake so much anymore. By now, Thomas knew that Newt's voice only shook when he was scared. After that what Thomas saw at Newt's home, he understood why his voice was always like that.

,, Yeah." He answered and they went inside.

* * *

,, Do you guys want something to eat?"

,, I don't." Thomas answered.

,, Newt?"

,, I..." The boy doubted.

,, Feel yourself like at home." Thomas whispered to him.

,, Something...easy." Newt answered.

,, Okay. I'll make some sandwiches and bring them up when they're ready." Melissa smiled.

,, Come." Thomas took Newt's hand and they went upstairs.

Newt walked around Thomas' room and his eyes were big like the first time he was here.

Where does he sleep at his home? In a basement? On the floor?

,, So..." Thomas started. He wanted to talk with Newt but there wasn't something to talk about.

Newt looked at him. ,, So?"

,, I was...I know that's not exactly my problem but what's going on at your home?"

Right away, the smile was wiped away from Newt's face. Thomas sat down and soon did Newt too.

,, I was eleven when my mom...she's dead...and so my dad...they were my real parents." Newt said quietly, his voice shaking. ,, W-We didn't have any cousins or someone who would've agreed to grow me." His hands shook too. Thomas placed his hands on Newt's.

,, I-I was thrown on the street. I didn't have nowhere to live...but then...they found me and raised me."

,, Who?"

,, Them."

,, Who's t-" Thomas started but cut himself off. ,, Oh."

,, I-I really..." Newt sobbed. ,,...appreciate that...but it's just..." His voice broke and he started crying. Thomas pulled him closer and hugged him tightly.

,, Newt...Please don't cry."

At that moment, Thomas' mom came upstairs. She saw Newt crying and immediately went over to him.

,, Hey, is everything alright?"

She looked at Thomas and was confused.

Thomas answered to her look.

He has a tough life.

Mom nodded back.

Okay.

,,Hey...umm-"

,, Newt." Thomas said.

,, Newt." Mom continued. ,, I made sandwiches for you two. Do you want to try one?"

Newt looked up at her. He felt embarrassed.

,, Y-Yeah." He answered quietly.

Melissa took one sandwich and gave it to him.

,, I'll leave you boys alone. If you want anything, then feel free to ask." She said and walked out of the door.

Newt bit the sandwich and said. ,, Your mom is very kind."

Thomas smiled, he still held Newt and the boy almost sat on his lap.

,, Thanks. She'll appreciate it."

They sat in a deep silence and thought their own thoughts. Thomas felt how Newt's breathing slowed, he eat the sandwich. Thomas wanted to protect him, but something inside of him knew that it was impossible. He couldn't protect Newt from everything.

But he could try.

,, Hey, Newt." He said quietly.

,, Yes?" The same quiet answer came.

,, This sounds crazy but..."

,, What?" Newt's voice didn't shake. He rose to sit. ,, Thomas, you can tell or ask everything from me."

,, I..." Thomas was scared. What if Newt hates him after that? What if he thinks he's weird? What if he says no? What if-

,, Will you come to the formal with me?"