Thinking of You

"Rey."

The girl's tear stained face slowly lifted to the man who had appeared before her. Harshly wiping away the remaining water beneath her eyes, she sighed.

Rey expected Kylo to taunt and criticize her for being weak with emotion, but she was surprised. "Why are you crying?" His voice was soft and gentle, similar to the night they had confided in each other next to a glowing fire; the same night the girl had seen his impossible redemption in a mere touch of their fingertips.

"You," she whispered, addressing his question. "If only you knew how much you have...affected..." She didn't finish, but Kylo understood.

Though he didn't want to admit it, the girl sitting cross legged on the cot in front of him was... intoxicating. Aside from the moonlight that poured in through the slit in her tent, the room was completely empty. Her arms wrapped around her pale body, and Kylo swore he could feel the night's chill between their bridged minds. He almost offered his robes, but shook away the irrationality.

It was the first time since their abrupt separation on Crait that they had seen each other through the Force. Kylo wondered how such a thing was still possible with Snoke dead, but didn't waist time trying to figure it out. He was here with a swollen face Jedi— there were far more important matters at hand.

"Can't you just go away?" Rey's voice cracked near the end of the question, and Ren saw her swallow. "You've gotten what you wanted. You're the Supreme Leader. Luke's dead; your broken-hearted mother might as well be. What more are you entitled to?"

The answer came and flew from his mind. You. He wanted Rey, but didn't dare say so aloud. Unfortunately, the scavenger had already heard it. Her tinted cheeks grew brighter in the white moonlight, and she looked down. Of course he wanted her; she was the last Jedi. It was a silly idea to think they could have had a normal conversation beyond their mortal responsibility of being enemies.

Kylo heard her thoughts, too. "You think so little of me," he said in response with a small smirk. "You think I want to kill you."

"I know you want to kill me," Rey corrected, clenching her fist.

Kylo's eyes pierced Rey. Yes, he needed to kill her. Yes, she needed to stay away. But there was a distinct line between needing and wanting, and in that moment, Kylo wavered on its edge. The girl inconspicuously huddled closer into herself as the man stared.

After a moment of silence, her face crumpled in defeat. Kylo felt himself tipping. Tipping. Another tear slid down her cheek. He fell.

"If only you knew," he said quietly. He stopped when she looked away, then continued. "Not a moment goes by when I'm not thinking of you."

Rey drew in a sharp breath, unable— unwilling—to decipher his message. Was he testing her? Perhaps. But she wanted to pretend that he wasn't lying.

"It's torture," she agreed with a forlorn glance. She couldn't tell if it was just her imagination, but his dark figure seemed to melt. The enemy before her actually appeared...cracked. Split to the soul, just as she was. For the first time in a while, Rey decided to follow Kylo's lead and be selfish.

"Come closer," she said, finally putting her wants before her needs. He did so without hesitation.

Though only together through a figment of the Force, the two masters hardly noticed. Kylo reached out his hand and brushed his fingertips against Rey's chin. Her jaw clenched, but not out of anger or repression. Her own hand went up to take hold of the hand beneath her chin. She guided it to her cheek, where he cupped her face with a sad sigh. Her face fell into his hold, and she closed her eyes.

There they stayed for the rest of the night.

***
If you want to read more of these short one-shots, check out my instagram @reyloimagines xx