Chapter 08

Chapter 08 –

Saoirse woke up all of a sudden with a pungent smell.

He looked at her puzzled, as if he had just woken up as well.

"Oh no! I hadn't meant to stay!" he panicked.

"You mean you would have snuck out? I don't think so! You sleep like that, sitting? What a bummer."

"My head is too big and heavy."

"That's why you are intelligent, right? And there's a lot of knowledge into it! Especially Shakespeare!"

He laughed.

"No. It means I could suffocate or break my neck if I lied down. But my head is certainly filled with dreams."

"Aw." she mocked, holding him.

"Don't come any closer! I smell, it's not pretty."

"Oh. So it's you. What you think you could have done in other lives, John, to have been born like this?"

"Um... What?"

"Have you never wondered?"

He gave a small laugh.

"Of course not. Reincarnation is a fallacy."

"How so? There are mentions of it even on the Bible."

"Well, I don't believe it. If we visit the Planet multiple times and don't remember each one of them, what's the point?"

"Well... In a nutshell, it saves you of unpleasantries. Remembering bad things you've done and having to live with it, all the torrent of remorse, and reincarnating with 'loved ones' that somehow you hate you don't know why, but that are your enemies you have to reconciliate with."

"You said 'in a nutshell'. That fits almost an avocado."

Saoirse rolled eyes.

"And it's not even the core. There's the karma. One having to face the consequences of their actions."

"That is done here, because the Lord lets nothing unfair happen."

"Nothing but rich and poor, 'beautiful and ugly' (she made the quote marks). And absolutely no explanation. Except for the ones of those who have eyes to see."

"Okay, Saoirse. If believing all that junk helps you, I have nothing against it. But don't contradict the Bible and God. Or Science."

"Science?"

"Yes. Genetics, for example."

"That's too random, John."

"But more plausible."

Saoirse rolled eyes again. Well, she tried...

"At least go have a shower!" he said, jokingly, taking all the covers for her despair.

"Then, let's go together..." she suggested.

"No way!"

She insisted.

"You took my covers and how are we to have a shower if you cover yourself? We've already seen everything there was to see!"

"But this is different!"

"Don't make me pull them..."

He seemed hypnotyzed. Ogling. Just like that time.

"You're looking at me like a pervert! Hey, give the covers back!"

Both of them were making a scandal, laughing, when someone started pounding on the door.

"Hide!" she mouthed to John.