Chapter 05

This chapter may be triggering. Reader discretion is advised. 

Chapter 05 –

As much as John had feared, most people at the pool party wasn't paying attention to him.

Except for those who were filming him. Conspicuously.

"Show's over!" Saoirse took their phones amidst loud protests. "Oops, sorry, I dropped them, I didn't mean it!"

"You bitch! You're gonna pay for that! Do you know who my boyfriend is?" A blonde was screeching.

"Don't know, don't care."

"Saoirse, darling," Treves held her hand a little harder than he intended, "Why do you care so much? John is old enough to fight his own battles. Do you feel sorry for him?"

"I'm right here," said John.

"Sorry, ahem, John, but you must agree that Saoirse is being... excessive."

"Here, drink from this plastic cup. How about some fries?" she tried to distract Treves.

"He's right..." said John. "Why?"

"You're protecting John as if he were a bibelot."

"And you're blind! Ain't he your best friend? You should protect him!"

"Saoirse..." John touched her shoulder, lightly. "I appreciate what're trying to do, but I can take care of myself."

She scoffed.

"Saoirse, would you come with me," called Treves, amidst all the noise and chattering.

"Will John be okay by himself?"

"He will be fine! Are you his mother? Just come!"

All John could see from afar was that Treves and Saoirse were having a discussion that was escalating. Treves threw up his hands and left her there, standing alone. She dried her tears rapidly and got a plastic cup full of beer she seemed to hate.

"What happened?" John asked, preoccupied when Saoirse came back.

And now he was free to see she was wearing nothing but a bikini top and shorts. She had freckles even on her belly... She looked a lot like a goddess. Of what, he couldn't fathom. He was hypnotized.

He tried not to hiss with just a bare thought.

"So sweet."

"We broke up," answered Saoirse interrupting his busy mind.

"But you started going out yesterday! That's a new record. Your brother will be happy."

"This is not about my brother. I'm already in love with someone else."

John's heart nearly jumped out of his chest. It couldn't be. But all those signs...

"Do I know him? That if I may ask!"

"Even I don't know him! Can you keep a secret?"

"Of course!"

She bit her lip.

"I've been receiving love letters. Nobody ever cared about me. Except for my brother. I feel like I'm twelve and in love with a pop star. But the guy who writes me... he sounds so smart!"

John kept silent.

"John?"

"You don't see yourself very clearly, Saoirse."

"You don't even know me!"

He sighed. And suggested.

"Let's sit over there."