Twelfth

He was standing right there, all grinning. He had his arms wide open for me to just step in for a hug. He was wearing that suit again, though this time he had leather shoes on and I was wearing this fancy dress. It was too good to be true.

I woke up, I slowly opened my eyes hoping to find the annoying grin on that boy's face but when I opened my eyes, he remained as a bear. I sighed, grabbed him and hugged him tight. I noticed that he was a bit damp, then I realized I must've cried myself to sleep.

It's been over a month since he went away, the Protectors allowed the three of us to keep our memories under one condition, if we speak so much as a word to another soul who doesn't know: our memories will be gone.

Every person victim to Lance's sand had their memories wiped clean, even Stephen but he can still remember Theodore and that he's a Protector, just not the fact that he was a walking zombie. My mom on the other hand forgot about Theodore, and the weird boy that appeared in my room one day wearing a tux and with no shoes on.

I took my time getting up, and took my time in the shower, then I got dressed and headed for school. Simple and boring routine like the usual. Nothing special. All the specialness went away, it's like he took it all away when he went too.

I took my backpack but not before grabbing Theodore and stuffing him in my bag, I miss so terribly, I've grown more attached to him than I expected and we've known each other for only but just a day. It was pretty weird if you ask me, how I've become so clingy over a stuffed toy.

My mom noticed that I was sort of out of it but then again she knew that I wouldn't be able to feel any better if I let it out, if it meant anything, I'd feel worse.

The ride to school was the same as always without so much as the thrill of being with Theodore though. Good grief, I'm turning into those sappy sentimental teenagers. The moment I got to the school grounds I found Viv standing by the door, looking like she was waiting for someone. She smiled at me the moment she saw me, I smiled back, but I wish I could have returned a more genuine one.

She told me about what happened with her brother that morning, but I didn't understand anything, I just nodded, said no with a bewildered expression and laughed when I thought it would be appropriate. I'm probably the worse friend ever. It was then that she realized she had to either stop or she will smack me on the back of the head.

"Okay, what is going on with you?" she crossed her hands over her chest, I just shrugged. We stopped by my locker, I spun the lock and I took my backpack and unzipped it. I pulled out Theodore and placed him at the bottom of my locker. "Why is Theodore with you?!"

"I don't see why I shouldn't bring him." I muttered, shrugging again.

"It's been a month, Claire. Honestly, you're expecting him to return when you know he's not. Stop holding on to him, please. I know you miss him, but what you're doing isn't healthy at all. It's an obsession already. Do you think that's whay he'd want for you to do? Basically waste away?" she said conscendingly like she was my mother and I was a child who broke her precious vase. That's when I snapped.

"I honestly don't know what he thinks what he wants for me! Because you know what?! HE'S NOT HERE!" I snapped, when I saw her expression, all wide and shocked I softened my eyes and used a much calmer voice. "I wish he was, but he isn't. Sorry, I guess I'm just too upset. Goodness, I have a crush on my teddy bear, man it sounds so weird."

"No, it's weirder when I say it: I have a crush on your teddy bear. See, it can send me to the asylum. This is just a bunch of crazy talk if you ask anybody else."

I cracked a smile but sighed nontheless, I know she's doing her best to cheer me up so I said that we should just get going to class when we heard something. We were alone in the hallways, and the sound echoed throught the vast stillness of it. It sounded like someone was trying to get out of a metal box. We both stopped dead in our tracks and I looked at Viv and she looked at me then we looked at the locker, my locker to be exact. It was still for a moment that Viv ought to dismiss it when we took a step forward, it made that sound again.