Second

I must be having a nightmare right now, or hallucinating; otherwise there's no reasonable and scientific explanation how my teddy bear transformed into a human being.

There were people already staring at me, and the boy that was wearing a tux and without any shoes. Now, I can’t really just go and tell people the explanation that I had in mind: “So, this guy appeared right next to me, exactly where my teddy bear should be. You know my conclusion? He’s my teddy bear that turned into a human being after I washed it last night.”

“This can’t be real.” I whispered.

“I’m pretty sure it is!” he said, grinning from ear to ear. I turned to stare at him again and shook my head in dismay. I opened my locker, wishing I’d stack some clothes in there like those girls who are way too conscious of how they look for their own good.

“Claire… why are you in your pajamas?” a familiar voice said, I turned around to find Vivien staring at me with wide eyes through her glasses since she didn’t have her contact lenses, looking more horrified of my outfit than I am.

“My mom almost killed him and me.” I jerked my head in the direction of boy that claims to be Theodore aka my teddy bear.

“Who is he again?” she asked, eyeing him closely.

He opened his mouth and - “He’s my cousin.” I said hurriedly before he could speak. He looked at me like I was crazy, I glared at him to go along with it and he nodded as if I was going to de-fluff him the moment he disagrees with me.

“How come we haven’t met before?” she asked.

“He’s from Mexico!” I said in a hurry again.

“What’s his name?”

“Miguel!” I said, Theodore made a choking sound.

“Why are you answering for him? Isn’t he capable of answering for himself?” she smirked, moving over to take a closer look at him.

“That’s because he only speaks Spanish, duh.” I rolled my eyes, I’m so going to get an acting award for this. He suddenly looked alarmed, I didn’t even bother to ask if he knows how to speak Spanish.

“Really? You only speak Spanish?” she turned to look at him, he tried his best to looked puzzled, like he was listening to some alien language for the first time.

“Si?” he said unsurely. He was clearly shaking from nerves.

“Cool! What words do you know?” she grinned, and clapped her hands excitedly.

“Si!” Theodore grinned from ear to ear. I slapped my hand to my forehead. The bell rang and I sighed.

“Listen, Viv, do you have any clothes that I could borrow on you? And a pair of shoes for this guy?” I asked.

“I have some clothes, I don’t have shoes for him though… I’ll go ask my brother if has any spare ones.” she said, still staring at the two of us like I was lying or something, which I was. No doubt she can see through me right now.

Vivien has a twin brother, you see, but look nothing like each other. She took out her phone and dialed her brother. She walked over to her locker, pushing people away as they try to get to their classes. She opened it and handed me a bunch of clothes. I ran to the nearest bathroom and changed. When I came back, Vivien’s brother, Stephen, was there, handing over some worn sneakers to Theodore. He was wearing a black shirt with the name of Red Jumpsuit Apparatus on it, and a pair of faded, ripped jeans as contrast to his sister who was wearing a summer dress and sandals.

“Where did your shoes go by the way?” he asked, staring at Theodore’s bare feet.

“I don’t think he understands english…” Vivien whispered. “All he seems to say is ‘Si’ right now.”

“Si!” Theodore said with enthusiasm. I looked at them wearily, and moved back to my locker. The hallway is empty now, I shoved my clothes inside my locker, I’ll pick it up later when I get home.

“Come on Theo - Miguel! We’re gonna be late for class!” I dragged his arm towards my classroom.

“Si!” he chuckled. This is going to be a very long Monday.