The Party (Chapter 7)

Start from the beginning

"Good, I just got here. There's so many people." I respond.

Suddenly I see KJ join us. Seeing me he quickly puts down his drink on a nearby counter. "[Y/N]! Have you been here the whole time?!" he asks louder than he needs to.

"No, I just got here." I then add after glancing at Cole, "When did you get here?"

"A while ago, maybe like two hours ago?"

"Cool" I answer back. I'm not really sure what else to say and where to go. Do I sit down? Do I remain standing? Or dare I lean on a wall or chair? I always enjoy hanging out with the Apa's, but I've realized it's not enjoyable in this environment.

"Come on [y/n], let's go get some air outside" Cole sweetly says to me. He is no longer speaking sternly or trying to act tough. He is just trying to do the right thing.

I stop looking down at my neon blue laces, and finally walk out with him.

-------

"[y/n], what are you doing?" Cole asks leaning against the outside column to the cabin.

I don't answer, I just stare ahead.

"Hmmm?" He's not letting this go.

"I don't know... Jess and Ariel were talking about this party to Riley and I, and then Jess texted me where the party was so I thought I should just check it out. But now I don't think it's at all what I wanted..." my voice trails off and I can't help it but my eyesight blurs up from the water slowly forming in my eyes.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. If you didn't want to come to this party you didn't have to come here and... and prove anything."

"I know. I figured I would just check it out and leave."

Silence.

"Riley knows about this party?" chuckles Cole.

"Haha, yeah... Cole, did you have fun at this party?"

"Yeah" he smiles. "I did."

I just smile back.

"But I'm not going to stay here any longer with my little sister all upset."

"I'm not upset, I'm fine." I quickly add while rubbing my eyes secretively.

"Sure." He drags out this word while giving me an 'I'm not buying this' look.

"Well, just be careful the next time you go to a party and I'm not there." I smile.

"Ha! I'll take that into consideration next time" Cole laughs and quickly draws me into him and puts me in a headlock.

"Ahaha! COLE! You had to do this, didn't you!" I laugh while struggling to loosen his grip.

Cole lets me go when we hear the front door nearby slam open. A tough looking boy storms out with a blonde hair girl following behind him.

"Are you happy Elliot? I'm outside now, what do you want?" the boy screams at Elliot, waiting for him to run out to them. I don't think they realize how close they are standing to Cole and I.

"Aunt Joyce has been worried sick about where the two of you could be. You should thank me!" Elliot argues back.

'Thank you? Why in the world am I thanking you? For ruining a good night for me and Ashly?"

"For preventing the police from coming! She was going to call them if you didn't come back by the end of the night." Elliot exclaims.

"She wouldn't".

"Ugh, yes she would Simon. I saved you tonight and you are just angry that I blocked you from making out with more girls" Elliot yells back.

"You know what Elliot, you have some mouthpiece. Let's see if you can still use it tomorrow after I smash your face!" Simon screams while ramming Elliot onto the ground.

"Oh my gosh, get off of him!" I scream and involuntarily run in to help grab this big kid off my new friend.

"Come on man, lay off the kid!" Cole steps in while pushing me out of the way.

"Umm, do I know you?" Simon chuckles and walks towards Cole.

"Definitely not. But I could tell you this, you need some rest dude."

"Ha! You're funny. Do me a favor, go back to mommy and daddy and let me deal with my brother."

"You were hurting Elliot, look at him!" I speak up.

"How do you know Elliot?" Simon asks while smiling at me weirdly.

"[y/n], you know these kids?" Cole wide eyed asks.

"I only know Elliot, we're friends" I respond.

"Yeah, we met before coming over here" Elliot adds while slowly getting off the ground and wiping dry blood off his face.

"You two came to this party together?" the blonde Ashly finally speaks up. She's playing with her hair and seems like she doesn't have a care in the world.

Silence.

Cole narrows his eyes at me. "[y/n], you brought a stranger to the cabin 45 party?"

"I..." I am suddenly interrupted by Elliot.

"She didn't bring me. I was looking for Simon and Ashly and searched around this area until I heard the party. [y/n] and I happened to have met earlier at the 'cup of dirt' activity, where you two" Elliot glares at his brother and cousin, "promised to work at tonight".

I give him a tired smile, sending the message that I'm grateful for keeping his promise.

"Simon, did you check your phone?" Ashly asks looking down at her glowing screen.

"No, why?"

"Why? Look at my 10 missed calls from Joyce!" Ashly answers annoyed.

Elliot smirks at his brother, as if to say 'I told you'.

Looking around Simon replies, "Okay look Ashly, lets head back now with Elliot to Aunt Joyce so she sees we made it back to the stupid activity."

As Elliot, Simon, and Ashly begin to walk back to the main camp ground, Cole cuts in.

"No, wait."

"What? Do you want to end up like him?" Simon raises his voice motioning to the beaten up Elliot.

"All I know is that I'm not having you two walk back alone with Elliot.... And don't get all judgmental, I don't know Elliot like my sister does, I'm just able to figure out his name based on the fact that you screamed it so many times before" Cole explains.

Simon just stares in disbelief at Cole before responding, "whatever man, this night is already weird, do whatever will help you sleep at night".

As we walk back in silence, Elliot turns around to Cole and I, and mouths the phrase, 'thank you'. I smile back and Cole just nods.