speed dating

IS THERE ANYTHING else you would love? Seriously, Tinsley? I mentally kick myself in the ass for that one. Hoodie Guy chuckles under his breath, and then, "Politely said, but no that is all." My hands shake embarrassedly as I get his order together. I notice from the corner of my eyes, him watching my every move. Fuck fuck fuck!

I spill a little bit of Earl Grey before I make it to him, and hear the old woman grumble. His mocha splashes a bit over the rim, too. When our hands meet, the paper cup is sticky. I'm so embarrassed I turn around inappropriately and stare at the back door, willing Mary to emerge.

Behind me, hottie's voice is deep and velvety, and humiliatingly sarcastic. "Ah, the cake slices, and do you want me to pay for this? I mean, I would take it for free but that's not usually how—"

As if the kinetic Gods are working in tune with me today, Mary bangs through the door still in her dirty apron. "I'll finish up. Thanks so much, Tinsley."

"Is it Tinsley?" probes Hoodie Guy's smooth voice behind me.

I swallow before turning to face him again. "Yeps. Yeah. Yep."

He thanks Mary for the rest of his order which she delivers over to him much more smoothly, and nods at me, smiling, "That's a sweet name." He turns and grandma squints suspiciously at me before pushing her walker out in front of her to catch up with him.

My first break arrives. I sigh, wiping my sticky palms into the black and pink uniform shirt Mary had given me. I stalk into the washroom to change and find my bearing. I know it is only fifteen minutes but I could do with being in the comfort of my own clothes for even a few seconds.

When I exit the ladies' room, Wonda Bird is right there. "Oh, good!" she chirrups. "Where did you get that shirt?"

I glance down at the pleated floral thing from Reitmans. "Oh, ah, my sister's hubby."

"Okay, cool, it's perfect because I was thinking of something else instead of you working again."

I purse my lips, drawing my brows together. "Wonda, that's enough surprises," I whisper. "And keep your voice down."

"Sorry," Wonda says, glancing at Hoodie Guy forking cake into his mouth with his grandma. She giggles. "Well, hear me out. Please. And no interruptions."

I suck in air, folding my arms. I'm already not liking the sound of this, whatever it is.

"How about you go on a quick date?"

"Wonda!"

Hoodie Guy glances over.

"Wonda!" I whisper, glaring at her.

"Don't worry, everything is already in place. He's on his way. I have good taste. I know you'll like him."

I lose all composure, throwing my hands up in exasperation. "Please, please, don't do this to me."

Not listening as usual, Wonda places a hand on my shoulder and guides me to her seat with the laptop on the table. "Just wait here," she says. "He's really dreamy. As tall, dark and handsome as they come. Just wait and see. It will only be for, like, fifteen minutes."

I plop down hard on the vinyl chair, sighing in defeat. "Do you really want to give me a stroke, or what?" I cover my face, fuming.

"Tinsley... Don't be like that."

"You don't be like this," I squeal, then snap my head to the side as I hear someone giggling. I shoot a look over to grandma's date and see that he's smothering down a grin. For a moment, I think maybe I am just hearing things because he's staring straight ahead at the wizened woman, then his gaze shifts to me. It doesn't make sense, the goose bumps bursting over my forearms.