Why are you thinking about that? I groaned to myself as my cheeks became warm. I shouldn't be embarrassed about wanting to kiss and touch Maxwell. It was normal to want to do those types of things with the person you liked — the person you were dating, but I still felt somewhat shy about it, and it was hilarious to Maxwell.

I blinked when I heard my phone's notification sound go off. I reached out for my phone, unlocking the screen before scrolling through the notifications until I found a message from Maxwell.

Message from: Maxwell.

Hey, my lecture's over and I have some time, can I come over?

WED, 3:45 PM.

A smile made its way to my lips, but it thinned out when I remembered that Maxwell had a test the day after tomorrow.

Message to: Maxwell.

Don't you have a test coming up? Shouldn't you be studying?

WED, 3:47 PM.

Message from: Maxwell.

:-(

Typing...

I'm dying. I haven't seen you in forever. I'll just say for a few minutes, I promise.

WED, 3:48 PM.

I stared down at the texts, blinking before deciding that he might as well come over. I mean, I wanted him here too, but I didn't want to interfere with his studies.

Message to: Maxwell.

Okay, just for a few minutes.

WED, 3:49 PM.

Message from: Maxwell.

:-)

WED, 3:50 PM.

About half an hour later Maxwell knocked on the door I shared with Oliver. I got up from my seat at my desk before heading to open the door. I was caught a little off guard when he dropped his bag and immediately made to pull me into a hug. I let out a little gasp, my eyes wide as his hands wrapped around me tightly.

"Gosh, I've missed you," he said, and I laughed, rolling my eyes as I made to hug him back.

"We're in the same building, Max. We always are. You're acting like we were on other sides of the planet," I said before we pulled away from each other. I stared at his freckled face, wavy ginger hair, and soft brown eyes. My gaze moved to the ground when I felt my chest flutter as he grinned at me. "Okay, God, I missed you too," I said looking up again, and Maxwell's smile widened before he leaned in to kiss me.

It stayed soft and sweet for a while, but soon Maxwell was pushing me back until we somehow ended up on my bed with him hovering over me. He kissed me for a while, and I smiled when he pulled away to just look at me, I loved the gaze in his eyes. I just loved it when he looked at me like I meant the world to him—and I hope I did.

"Are you still coming over to my place for the holidays?" I asked, remembering that his mum had reached out to him a while back, and I wasn't sure if that would affect his plans. I watched as his smile faded, and I rose a brow in worry, wondering if what I had said had caused it.

"No, I'm still coming over to your place," he muttered, moving to lie down beside me. I turned until I was facing him completely. I bit my bottom lip, reaching out to brush some strands of his red hair away from his forehead. He closed his eyes, humming as I made to run my hand through his hair.

"Did something happen?" I asked, and he just stared at me with his brown eyes. "Your mum?" he looked away at my second question, and I just sighed, not knowing what to do. If he didn't want to talk to me about it, it's not like I could force him to. I just hoped he would tell me in his own time.

"You know you can always talk to me, right?" I said instead, and Maxwell just smiled.

"Yeah." He nodded, reaching out to me so that he could hug me to himself. He placed his head on top of mine, sighing. "Yeah, I know that."

The room went quiet after that. The clock ticked in the background, and the branches of the tree outside the room's window clawed at the glass as the winds blew them about. It was going to snow this evening. Maxwell stayed for a few minutes just like he had said he would. He left the room after fifteen or so minutes, leaving me by myself again, but I was worried this time. Did his mother not act as he had expected? Did she do something out of place? I tried to stop myself from worrying, but I couldn't.

What happened?