The Butterflies

Jason woke up in a room that he couldn't recognize. He could hear the shower running and wondered what he was doing here. He sat up slowly as his head was pounding. He scanned the room, he saw a neatly arranged desk, a guitar leaned against a book-stand, a beanbag in the corner. The blanket that now lying on top of his legs was a checkered print. Everything about the room screamed neat and tidy. He also noticed that nothing in the room looked particularly cheap. The curtains, the bedding, even the rug on the floor, everything looked expensive. Just then he heard a door open and he looked towards his left. Alex wearing a pair of jeans and t-shirt was drying his hair with a towel. He saw that Jason was awake and his eyes widened a bit. He didn't say anything. He waited for Jason to say something.

Jason didn't know what he should say. This was clearly Alex's room and he didn't remember how he got here. He cleared his throat and said the first thing that he could think of. 'What happened last night?' Alex raised his eyebrows and look at Jason intently. 'You don't remember.' Jason shook his head. Alex sighed softly. 'You thought this was your room and you crashed without waiting for me to correct you. I didn't want to carry you all the way to your room so I just let you sleep.' Jason's face flared up. 'How embarrassing' he thought to himself. He didn't know how to apologize for his behavior when Alex started to gather his things.

'I have to go. My class starts in 15 minutes. When you leave, just pull the door and it will lock itself.' Jason didn't get a chance to say anything because he left in a flash. In a way, he was thankful, it would be awkward to carry on this conversation when he had no recollection of the previous night.

He went to his own room and freshened up. He somehow made it to class on time. He was in a bad mood all day, thanks to the headache. He decided to pack some food from the noodle shop next to the dorm. When he ordered, he asked for two plates. He was hoping that food would be a good enough apology for his behavior last night. He had wracked his brain all day to remember what he did but it was of no use. He was just about to leave the food on Alex's front door with a note but just as he was about to do so, he was Alex coming towards the room.

He smiled and handed him the packet. Alex took the packet and looked at his curiously. 'It's an apology.' Alex took out the keys and was about to head inside when Jason grabbed his hand. 'Hey, I am sorry!' Alex looked up at Jason and his honey brown eyes made his go weak in his knees. 'What the hell!' he thought to himself and released Alex's hand. Alex rubbed his temples in irritation. 'What exactly are you sorry for?' Jason couldn't understand. 'Huh'

Alex moved closer and Jason moved back instinctively till he was against the wall next to Alex's front door. Alex looked him up and down and he couldn't help but feel flustered. 'What the hell is happening to me?' he thought. 'What are you sorry for?' Alex repeated. 'For barging into the wrong room or for doing unspeakable things to me?' Jason started panicking. 'What was he talking about?' Jason tried to push Alex away but he was strong, much stronger than he looked. Jason was no flyweight and he could use more force but he didn't want to punch Alex or injure him. He just wanted to leave.

Alex then moved his face closer to Jason's and whispered in his ear. 'Don't tell me you still can't remember.' And in that moment, everything came flashing back. The hug, the kiss, everything. Jason pushed hard and moved Alex out of the way. Alex didn't put up a fight. He could tell by looking at Jason's eyes that all was not lost. The memories were back and now it would all depend on how Jason reacted to it all when he was of sober mind.

Jason didn't say a word. He quietly opened the door to his own room and went inside. Alex stood looking at the closed door and sighed. 'Maybe it's not meant to be after all.'