07 | Live to Party

Start from the beginning

            “I have to. I’m Adam’s date.” The name felt foreign on my tongue. I wasn’t even sure I knew Adam anymore.

            “I don’t care! You’re staying home,” she scolded, placing her hands on her hips. The tone in her voice told me she wasn’t going to be easily persuaded. In a way, I felt relieved because I didn’t want to go to Lou Sanders’ party in the first place.

            “Alright, I’ll just call Adam.” I tugged my iPhone out of my back pocket and searched for his name in my contact list.

            “I understand why you don’t want Lexi going to the party, but we were actually looking forward to this party. It’s kind of a de-stressor to relieve the events of the week. I was the one who invited Lexi because I felt like she didn’t get out of the house enough,” Jake spoke up, lying through his straight white teeth.

            Mom pursed her lips, contemplating the idea. “But Lexi has to study.”

       “Oh, of course!” He circled around her and rested his hands on her shoulders, gently massaging them. “You don’t want Lexi to fall behind on her studies. We actually have a study session at the public library. We have a test on Monday in Chemistry, and I need to get an A if I want to keep my scholarship.”

            By now, her eyes were shining with excitement and hope. Her lips spread into a full-on grin. Poor girl. She had no idea that she was putty in his hands. “Scholarship?” 

            “To Harvard, of course.”

            She bit back a shaky breath as she stared into his ice-blue eyes. “That’s wonderful! Lexi needs more friends like you!” Unable to contain her excitement, she began to jump up and down. “You can go, Lex.”

            “Seriously?” I questioned, trying to keep calm. Was it that easy for him to persuade my mom with his mind tricks? Damn, he earned my respect.

            She nodded, still daydreaming about Jack.

            I rolled my eyes once more and groaned, pushing past my mother and grabbing Jack’s wrist forcefully. “We’re leaving.” I tugged him along with me until we were completely outside of the house. “Study session, really? We don’t even have any classes together.”

         He raised his hands in defeat, his signature provocative grin spreading across his lips. “You’re welcome.”

            I sharpened my gaze, analyzing him. “I didn’t ask for your help,” I spat roughly. “Come on.” I picked up my pace and padded down the driveway and onto the pavement. It didn’t take long to reach my destination, considering Adam’s house was right next to mine.

            His house looked similar to mine with a brown picket fence lining the exterior of the house, with the exception of the driveway and front door. Two cars were parked in the driveway, none of which belonged to Adam.

            It was funny; we were both old enough to drive. I was sixteen and Adam was just a few months older than me, at seventeen, yet our parents never thought to buy us a car.

            I knew my mom wouldn’t because she simply did not have the money, being a single mother and all, but what was Adam’s reason?

            Come to think of it, I knew very little about Adam’s parents other than his dad bought him a new video game every week.

            Mustering up the strength, I lifted my hand and rang the doorbell. Jack arrived at my side shortly after and following his arrival, the door opened.