- 16 | E D O R A S

We walked through the woods. My hand was on my sword, ready to kill every threat that may attack us. It wasn't that much later that Legolas called out a warning.

"The White Wizard approaches."

"Do not let him speak, he will put a spell on us," Aragorn warned, unsheathing his sword. I readied myself with my bow just like Legolas and Gimli tightened his grip on his axe.

Suddenly, a dazzling white light blinded us. I let go of my arrow just like Legolas did but the figure threw them away with a flick of its hand.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits." He began. His voice was strange familiar but I could quite put my finger on it. "They passed this way, the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?"

"Who are you? Show yourself! Aragorn demanded.

The light dimmed and revealed an old man, all in white. I fell on my knees when I saw his face. His oh so familiar face.

"It cannot be," Aragorn muttered.

Legolas knelt. "Forgive me, for I mistook you for Saruman."

The Wizard frowned. "I am Saruman. Or rather the Saruman he should have been."

"Gandalf," I whispered, not quite believing what I saw.

"Gandalf? Yes that was my name. Gandalf the Grey. I am Gandalf the White, and I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide." He said smiling down at me. He then turned around and walked further through the forest, gesturing us to follow him.

"Come." He began, leading us to the forest, "One stage of the journey is over, another begins. We must travel to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras?" Gimli piped up, "that's no small distance."

"We heard of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king," Aragorn murmured.

"Yes," Gandalf agreed, "and it will not be easily occurred."

"Then we have run all this way for nothing. Are we to leave those poor Hobbits here is this horrid, dark, dank, tree-infested..." Gimli began ranting but soon interrupted by angrily groaning from the forest. "I mean charming... quite charming forest?"

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains." Gandalf told us, stopping and turning back at us.

Aragorn smiled. "In one thing you haven't change, dear friend."

"Hm?"

"You still speak in riddles." He replied and I laughed.

"A thing is about to happen that had not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong." The wizards explained.

"Strong, you say?" Gimli fretted behind me. "That's good."

"So stop fretting, master dwarf. Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, there safer than you are about to be," Gandalf warned him.

Fantastic.

He leaded us out of the forest and whistled. A few seconds later, a beautiful white horse approached us.

"That is one of the mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell," Legolas gasped full of wonder.

"Shadowfax," Gandalf replied fondly, petting the horse, "He's lord of all horses and he's been my friend through many dangers."