Chapter 28: Samael's Idea

Samael paused for a moment, staring at the floor as if sunken into deep thoughts.

"Hey! What kind of a lame story is that? I didn't ask you to retell the Bible and add in some weird stuff to justify yourself and your evil actions!" Lily crossed arms.

"Eh?" Samael flared up, "Who do you think you're talking to?!"

"Quit acting so tough! Your stories are boring!"

"Ah, sorry I didn't satisfy your desire!"

Incubus watched them astonished:

It's been ages since mom and dad had fought like this. This is so nostalgic... Mom hasn't changed at all, indeed.

"I hoped I'd hear something more romantic, like how you fell in love with Lilith..." 

Lily's eyes shimmered as she thought of a romantic scene, and pressed hands to her chest, delighted by her imagination. Incubus widened eyes at the remark and chuckled. Samael, on the other hand, flushed up and looked away:

"Why would I ever tell you that? That's private".

"But you said you felt sad for Lilith. What happened afterward?" Lily grabbed his arms, "Like, how was Incubus born?"

Both Samael and Incubus grew red.

"What's with this lovey-dovey attitude in all of a sudden?" Samael frowned. 

"No fair! You cannot stop with the story in mid-air, come on!"

"Ugh, you're indeed a pain..." Samael muttered, and began: "Gradually, I indeed managed to discard the Black Energy from a certain place in hell and began living in a cave down there..."

"Ugh, don't go on with those Biblical stories again! I've asked how you came to love Lilith_"

"Then just hush and listen! I cannot start retelling out of the blue. Every story needs a beginning".

"Fine!" 

Lily sulked and crossed arms. Samael rolled eyes and continued:

"I began to live in hell and fight the demons. However, I would also often come up on the surface for my angelic duties - to take the lives of those whose time was up. I would also use those moments to check on humans - Adam and Eve. They had become an official couple and given birth to first four babies, among whom there were two sons - Cain and Abel, and two little daughters - Awan and Azura. But, most importantly, I would use that time to check on another human who also lived on Earth, yet never interacted with the said couple and their family - Lilith.

Adam, Eve, and their children began to live in a cave. They dressed in animal skins as they felt shameful to show their bare bodies since they had eaten the fruit of Knowledge. Lilith, on the other hand, did not dress, as she was the only primal human who had not tasted the fruit of Knowledge, thus, had not inherited the knowledge of shame (while Adam's and Eve's children had this knowledge since birth, thanks to their parents). 

Due to Lilith's being bare-bodied, she soon caught a cold. Gradually, as she was unable to adapt to the strict earthly conditions (since she was alone and had no one to support her, unlike Adam and Eve who had each other), she fell ill. She bore strong pain and sadness in her heart which ate up her inner being and tormented her soul. She was despaired and hopeless. I felt pity every time I caught a glimpse of her - a serene, subtle little woman staggering around in cold winter nights, and coughing... Running from hungry predators and vile nature spirits every night and day, and so worn out from much walk that she had no strength left to properly think and act. Due to not consuming the fruit of Knowledge, she had no idea of how to adapt to earthly life, and was unable to do anything to defend herself against the harsh environment. 

I, as the sole keeper of people's lifespan, the only one knowledgeable of when one's time was up, could easily notice Lilith's end drew nearer and nearer by each day. It gave me a heavy heartache. I felt helpless. Whenever she died, as she had sinned and was banished from the Garden of Eden, her soul would go straight to hell just like Adam's, Eve's, and the other humans' ones. I did not know how to help her. What could I do? 

Then, a brilliant idea struck me: Adam, Eve, and their descendants, due to having the knowledge of the divine apple, had lost the link to their soul memories, but Lilith had not tasted the fruit of Knowledge, so her link wasn't yet severed! Lilith could probably just be the one to save the humankind, and if she did so, she wouldn't have to go to hell - the High Forces would most likely forgive her. I clutched my scythe tightly - yes, I must aid her to save humans... So, I unfolded my wings, flew up, and headed to Lilith's location.

There was one risk, however - if I wanted Lilith to help the mankind, I should break one of the most sacred laws of the High Forces, which they had created for angels: we were forbidden to have a close relationship with humans. By 'close relationship', I mean the intimate affair... well, you know. But if I didn't break this law, no one would be able to save humans and recreate their bond with their souls. Once Lilith - the last human with this kind of bond - died, everything would be over. So, I, again for the humans' benefit, and primarily, for her, decided to give up on my purity, and become, once and for all, the only infernal angel.