chapter 7 : hide it away

--

Feathers rustled as the two boys walked into Tom's neat and small apartment. He already had Tord dashing off to look around as Tom watched him anxiously.

He turned his head to see something Tord didn't notice when they arrived; the raven had perched on the windowsill, fluffing its feathers out as it watched Tord look through Tom's journal with its observant beady eyes. Tom had never seen the bird so focused, but having someone new accompany him must be worth getting used to for his feathered friend. Nor had he known the bird would arrive so early in the day.

Tord let out small gasps here and there, Tom blinking and silently walking over to the windowsill. The mute gently resting his hands on the ledge, beside the raven's talons. 

Any normal person, he thought, would engage in conversation with their guest.

He hoped Tord didn't mind that he was different.

Tom closed his void like eyes and enjoyed the early morning breeze, breathing lightly into it. His heart ached as he traced over the previous hour, wishing he had done.. Well, anything. 

Seeing Tord's cheery smile at the joy of the snap of his camera lit up Tom's world... Just looking at the Norski made his heart flutter and his face heat up in a blush. 

He'd say something about his feelings, but who knows when he'd gather the courage to even speak again, with these thoughts roaming his mind.

Tom let his head drop to his arms on the window ledge, earning a quiet, yet curious chirrup from the black-feathered bird. Tom continued to breath the chill air in and out, finding it calmer by the window. It was where he spent most of his time.

Just as his thoughts seemed to begin to wander to the worst, Tord piped up. "Can't draw? Rubbish. Have you seen your pen doodles? And it just gets better with the pencil!" Tord looked up from the journal, at the normally silent and vacant Tom. "Toooommm. C'mere so I can compliment your drawings."

 Tom stayed still a very long and dreadful moment, then lifted his head and opened his eyes. He turned his head over his shoulder to look at Tord, who waited eagerly. A soft sigh escaped his lips as he made his way over to the desk where Tord stood.

 The silver eyed boy held the journal to Tom. "Your lies can't fool me, Tom. You can really draw.. Better than I can take pictures!" He chirped, hoping to get rid of Tom's now ongoing frown. But soon one melted on his own lips. "What's wrong...?" He asked in a softer tone.

 Tord's sadder tone really tore at Tom's heart. He simply shook his head. "N-nothing..." He replied with a slight tremble in his voice. Tord stared at Tom, still holding the journal out between them. He looked down a bit and lowered the journal. 

Almost no time at all passed before Tord looked up again, making eye contact with the beady eyes of the raven on the window ledge. He moved away from the desk and curiously went over to the raven.

"Hey..."

"Crrrr..."

Tom looked up when the raven made the slightest of noise. The mute softly called the bird to him with a noise similar to its own. To Tord's surprise and delight, the raven's pitch black wings ruffled and flared, then the dark bird glided to Tom's shoulder. Tom's small smile returned as he stroked the raven's head feathers. 

Tord feels slightly awkward in the moment, and decides to ever so casually walk back to the desk. He shuffled his feet once he stood beside Tom.

 "You never mentioned any pet." Tord stated softly, looking at Tom and the bird bonding.