(Nadia) Chapter 16: Camilla

Tears trickled from my eyes. I blinked them away as fast as I could. I got out of bed. Dreaming of the past would only make things worse.

Father glares at me hatefully. Chills slide down my spine. "I can't! He's not my mate!" I yell. Father slaps me as hard as he can. He slams me against the wall and grabs a fistfull of my hair. "You have been a useless burden your whole life." He spits in disgust. "Not only that but my mate is dead because of you." He seethed.

"You are worthless Nadia. This is the one time you may ever come in handy. The Red Valley pack will destroy me. You offer a way out. If I give you to Alpha Terro he will be appeased." He explains. I almost cried out. Not from the throbbing pain in my scalp but from thinking about the Red Valley Alpha. The vile man terrified me. He was brutal. Now my father expected me to marry him. I was only 16. How could he do this to me?

The memory fades away but the feeling of pure terror was something I had never forgotten. The fear didn't even lesson when I killed Alpha Terro for all that he done to me.

Rozen rolls over in his sleep. He was so peaceful. How could I do this to him? I slide my robe on and go on the balcony for some piece. Footsteps crunch down the path to pack house. I listen closely. A mailman? Wow. I was all nervous for nothing.

I walk down in the early morning light and reach into the mailbox. I flip through. Meh. Boring. No idea what this is. Don't care. Blah. Blah. Bl- Wait. Why did this smell like Rozen's cousin? It's impossible. I rip open the envelope.

I scan over the letter. She escaped? I drift to the second paragraph. 'You can't trust your mate Rozen. She's not who you think she is.' I finish reading the letter, anger pulsing through me. She had no right to say such things about me. I resist the urge to crumple the letter and continue to stare at it. He couldn't know now. He wouldn't believe me. I knew what I had to do.

I tear off the p.s. part of the letter and stuff it in my pocket. The rest of the letter I tucked back in the envelope. I ran up the stares to Rozen and woke him up. "Quin's ok!" I say joyfully. I was truly glad but I couldn't help but wonder what she knew about me. Rozen sits bolt upright and greedily took the letter from my hand. His face lit up in pure joy.

"The letter even smells like her." He exclaimed. I wrap my arm around his shoulder. "You should show your father and uncle." I whisper softly in his ear. He nods and gets dressed.

When he finally leaves I jump to my feet. I shove the other half of the letter into a drawer beneath some of Rozen's old clothes. It would be safe here for now. At leat until I could tell him everything.
----

The day passed in a blur. Rozen spent the rest of the day with his father and uncle in a pack meeting. No doubt they were overjoyed to hear from Quin. The sun soon dipped beneath the horizon and the stars started to glow. I sigh, wanting to go outside and take in the beauty.

Why wasn't I? There was nothing holding me back. I walked outside into the warm May air. A light breeze fanned my hair out around me. I missed this. Enjoying nature in human form instead running for my  life through twisted wilderness. I lay back on the front lawn watching the last light of day become consumed by darkness.

A man lays down beside me minutes later. He takes my hand. "The stars are my favorite thing to look at." He turns to face me. "Second to you of course." Rozen whispers into my head as he places a kiss on it. I lean on him. He twirls a strand of my hair around his finger and seemed to be deep in thought.

"You know, I've been thinking." He starts. "Uh oh!" I tease. He laughs and reverts back to seriousness. "I haven't seen you in wolf form yet. Now would be the perfect time to go for a run together. " He quietly suggests. I knew he would recognize my wolf but he had to see me eventually. It was the first step at letting him in.