(Nadia) Chapter 7: A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

I pull the silver chain taunt and clip the 2 ends. The black pendant slides down to the middle of my chest. I smile in the mirror. I slip in the matching earings. I run my fingers through my hair and toss it over my shoulder. My long black locks cascade down my back.

I reach for the red lipstick and run it across my lips. I paint black eye shadow around my eyes. My vibrantly gold eyes glow darkly like amber stones set in an onyx setting. It made me look darkly seductive. Just how I liked it. I sigh. It would be impossible to find a dress that goes.

I walk to the closet and fling open the mahogany doors. Just as I suspected the closet was filed with floaty, brightly coloured gowns. I flip through the hangers. A dark glitter catches my eye. A gorgeous black gown hung at the very back of the closet. I pulled it on.

The dress fit like a glove. One might think it was made for me. The black lace top clung to my skin and the skirt cascaded into a pool around my feet. My dark heart beats a little faster. Last time I wore a gown was when I plunged a dagger into my heart. I can't help but feel like I did humanity a favor. That is if I really stayed dead. It won't be long before I lose control again.

I had a mate now though- a mate who will able to stop the darkness in me. A mate who've you've done nothing but lie to you mean? A dark voice inside me asked. My heart throbbed. I had told him the truth.

As I finished explaining who I was I looked up at Rozen. His face fell. I knew then that he didn't believe me. "I think you still feeling weak Nadia. I think you should go rest." He had said tightly. I didn't know what to do at the time so I did the first thing that came to mind. I swooned and pretended to faint into Rozen's arms. When I 'woke' up I told him a different story.

I told him I really was moon cursed and named Nadia Petrova. I also said I had no memory of what had happened earlier that night. I did remember the kissing and a little of the beginning of our conversation. He gladened at my words. Blaming my tangent on me being ill and my natural lack of trust seemed like the easiest way to explain the story I told him.

Once I had come to terms with Rozen not believing the truth I fed him a lie. I was a small town girl who's family wasn't part of a pack. I soon discovered that I had powers. When a group of rogues heard about it they came after me. I got away but my family didn't. The rogues had killed them. I had been on the run ever since. I was disappointed at how easily he believed that.

Oh well. I brushed the memory out of my mind. I did have a party to attend after all. The Blood Moon Ball of all events. I pushed back my bitterness. I had to stay away from these feelings or I'd lose total control. I couldn't kill anyone else.
♤♡◇♧

I inhaled deeply. I could sense the presence of so many people. Luckily they weren't anywhere in the crowd. I used my new found confidence and took my first out into the spotlight on the staircase. Rozen's pack members looked up at me in awe and the guests stared with just as much shock. I can't say I blamed them. I dressed to impress. Part of it might also be that they could tell that the I was just as dark on the inside as on the outside.

I continued to walk down the stairs with all eyes on me. Something caught my attention. Or rather someone. Rozen. He smiled at me as he tussled his blond hair. His pure white suit wrinkled as he did so. White for innocence I think as I remember the gown I died in. My steps became a little faster. I walked up to Rozen and smoothed out his suit as a mask for my thoughts.

Somehow his already wide smile cracked even further. I took his arm and let him lead me off to the dance floor. All eyes were on us. Of course this made Rozen nervous. He probably assumed I couldn't dance. Little did he know I would be better than him. "Let me lead." I whisper softly into his ear.

I start the dance I know best. The Waltz. Rozen let me lead but we held up the false pretense to the pack that he was leading. I laugh to myself. Rozen was a terrible dancer. I hid his missteps with my grace and skill and soon we had the whole pack enraptured. I looked into Rozen's eyes and soon he was enraptured. I almost fell for my own lie as I felt his hand caress my waist.

Rozen watched my every move. His heart fluttered as I ran my black nails across the white shoulder of his suit. It took me a moment to realize that my heart had fluttered too. I wanted to have a mate. I wanted to let Rozen in. I wanted to live a normal life. But every time I think about those things I replay my memories. I see my father's body on the ground. I see my dead brothers. I see the day when I was betrayed. I see what trying to have a normal life is. It's heartbreak.

I tried so hard to live a normal life when I was young but look what happened. Everything I ever loved was burned to ashes and everything I never wanted to be is what I beacame. I look into Rozen's eyes and I see myself before I became the monster I am. I wasn't bitter about it. I didn't want to corupt him like some people might. I stroke his face. I wanted to keep the light inside him. I wanted to never let the darkness have him. I wanted to protect him. But alas, the mark of the Blood Moon doesn't stop until it has destroyed your life.

Dress inspiration