Down at the Lake (Chapter 5)

Start from the beginning

"Haha! Maybe." Jess calmly smiles while staring into the lake.

"Are you going to go in the lake, Jess?"

"Probably in a little bit. I kind of don't want to get my hair wet, I just ironed it. What about you?"

"I definitely want to swim in the lake. But I'll wait for you so we can go in together." I reply.

"Aww, thanks [y/n]." Jess smiles.

"JESS! COME IN!... YOU TOO [Y/N]! " KJ calls out to us.

"We will but not until Jess is ready to get her hair wet" I yell back.

"No, don't say that!" Jess looks at me with an embarrassed smile.

"What?"

"KJ is so annoying. If he knows I'm avoiding the water, he will purposely try to get me in!"

"Ooh.. I see. Sorry Jess."

"It's ok, I'll try to avoid his little schemes."

"And I'll help!"

Jess laughs and gives me a side hug. Maybe I sounded a little too serious, so I laugh back.

Riley and Ariel are still at the other end of the lake on floats, but I see Cole and KJ swim closer towards us. At first it's a little hard to make out who is who, but then I recognize Cole's goggles. Our mom bought us all swimming goggles, the same day we bought the portable fans. Mom is really prepared for trips and always thinks of what we might need.

"Hi!" KJ greets us as his head comes up from the water after his swim towards us ends.

"Hi." I sheepishly smile.

"Hi yourself KJ. What are you doing over here?" Jess asks.

"I think the question is, what are you doing up there and why aren't you in here?" Cole cuts in.

"Look at my hair." Jess points to her head.

The boys just stare confused.

"It's been ironed so Jess wants to keep it all nice." I reply on behalf of my friend.

"Yeah, exactly!" Jess exclaims while crossing her arms in front of her.

The boys begin to look defeated and start swimming off. This is, until the they stop and begin to slowly swim back our way.

"But what's your excuse [y/n]?" Cole asks me with a sneaky smile.

"What?" I ask while pulling my knees up to my chest.

"Why aren't you in the lake?"

" Because I'm a good friend."

"By not swimming? "

"It's ok [y/n], you can just go in. I can meet you there later." Jess quickly cuts in.

"No, it's ok Jess. I can wait for you."

"Or not.." Cole says while pulling himself up to where we are sitting.

"You're sitting way too close to me Cole." I say while scooting closer to Jess.

I guess I was distracted by Cole because Kj managed to grab Jess's feet and pull her into the lake. I could tell my time for the lake was nearing so I quickly put on my goggles.

"KJ!!" Jess screams while playfully hitting her brother.

"Jess! Your beautiful hair!" I laugh while holding my hands out to her.

"AND NOW YOURS!" Cole screams while full on picking me up and throwing me far into the lake. I was expected to be drawn into the lake or pushed, but not thrown! That actually was slightly terrifying.