Chapter 27: Paradise Lost

Start from the beginning

I swung my wings. All of us - Michael, I, Gabriel, Adam, Raphael, and Eve - flew up to the high heavens to meet up with the High Forces, who had already been informed of everything that had happened.

The three angels led us to a giant light energy sphere - the High Forces (the form they preferred to appear in) - and put us to our knees before it.

"Father, we've brought the sinners," Michael reported to them.

I stared at the floor, still sad and concerned about Elijah's fate.

"Samael, stand up," I heard the heavenly voice ring in my ears.

"But... Elijah died because of me".

"We'll discuss that later".

I was confused, but nevertheless, I stood up, for so I was ordered by the High Forces, whose word was always absolute.

"Adam, Eve," the divine voice now addressed the two humans, who trembled, feeling shame. "Why did you eat the fruit of Knowledge when we asked you not to?"

"It's... It's all the snake's fault!" sweat poured off Eve's forehead.

"It's Eve's fault! She told me to!" Adam accused Eve.

I was astonished - seriously, how low could they fall?!

"You two are not yet ready to live in the Garden of Eden. We see that Samael was right to be prudent, after all. You two are to be banished from heaven to live on Earth and share the punishment of Lilith. Eve, for being so selfish as to consume the fruit of Knowledge, neglecting our request, and listening to demonic voices of talking animals, just to satisfy your thirst for superior power - the power which you were blind to see you already had - your eyes are to be opened: you shall feel superior power as you shall be the one to bear children and thus be able to prolong the life of the mankind, however, you shall feel utmost pain in doing so, and each of your female successors will share this kind of pain," they paused for a minute, and continued: "As for you, Adam, who gave in to his wife in committing a sin, instead of scolding her and showing her the bright path, just to satisfy the ambitions you held deep at heart, you shall continue fighting for your ambitions down on Earth, however, it will take all of your efforts and life forces, and yet it shall never be satisfied. That shall be our punishment for you two," they spoke, and then ordered to Gabriel and Raphael: "Take them down to Earth".

While Adam and Eve were screaming, they were grabbed by my celestial brothers and taken down to Earth. As the four left, Michael and I remained in heavens. 

"Samael," I heard the divine voice again. I looked up at the light sphere.

"Yes?" I asked. Now it was my turn. However, unlike Adam and Eve, I had taken the whole responsibility for my actions.

"Samael, why did you do this? Please, be frank".

I sighed and looked down.

"Why... did you have to banish Lilith?"

"You know the answer very well - she had sinned. She was not ready to live here. But you... held a grudge, didn't you?"

"Not exactly a grudge..." I averted my eyes from them. "I always knew Lilith was more influenced by her feelings and it would turn out bad in the end, but I also knew Adam was more influenced by his thoughts and Eve wasn't perfect either, so, unlike in Lilith's case, I decided I wouldn't be waiting anymore for bad occasions to arise, and instead create one myself to see if they were really worthy to live in the Garden of Eden".

"So, you didn't quite trust us?" 

"It's not that I didn't trust you... I didn't trust myself, more like it..." I shrugged. "Do whatever you want with me. I'll take on the punishment for what I've done".

"Samael," the divine voice spoke to me with the fondness of that of a father (they had created me so they were truly my parent), "You are an angel. You never make mistakes. Why did you not trust yourself?"

"Because I also know that I, unlike all the other angels, am made of not just your pure light energy, but the evil Black Energy as well... Only my core is made of your light energy. I doubt darkness wouldn't sneak into my conscience from time to time".

"Well then, we should come up with an idea on how to counter the black energy inside you which bothers you so much".

"Unfortunately, it's a part of who I am, father, so I cannot really counter it but accept it instead, and move on," I shrugged. "I propose this: send me to hell, and I'll fight the Black Energy right in their den. I will alter the demons' dwelling and make my stay there, so that the poor souls of humans, who have suffered so much and are yet to suffer, shall have a place to dwell in before we come up with a plan on how to purify them down on Earth".

"You really want to sacrifice your position of the highest celestial angel, one of my hereditary creations, in order to save human souls?"

"Yes. After all, I made up that dangerous test and it is because of me Elijah died. I must ensure a new angel of innocence is able to be born".

"We never doubted your kind heart, Samael. From now on you are released from our command. Do as you please. You've proven you are worthy to make decisions on your own. If you ever need to consult with us, your twin Michael will be able to descend into hell and speak with you".

"Thank you," I deeply bowed to them. "One more request - please set the history so that humans think of me as the main king of demons and their enemy".

"Why?" 

"I... I must continue testing humans to see how they progress. I don't want them to know my true intentions. Let them turn their hatred on me so that they can love each other".

"You're too generous even for an angel," Michael cut in.

"I have no other choice. After all, death, destruction, and all calamity - it is never a good thing and lovable stuff, is it?" I laughed and unfolded my black wings.

"Your wish is granted," the divine voice said.

"Farewell, brother. Good luck with your further goals," Michael smiled at me.

"Remember, Michael," I beamed, "I'm leaving our brothers and sisters in your hands now. Look after them and supervise humans, while I fight demons".

I flew down, pierced the fiery core of the world, and descended into the hellfire and freezing ice of the underworld - the dwelling of the demonic Black Energy I was destined to fight".