Chapter One; Cheater, Cheater

Start from the beginning

He smirked and clasped his hand over his chest. "Such vulgarity. Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. For the third time this week. What the hell happened to you? Did you run out of protein powder again?"

"No," I said, chewing my lip, pushing through the crowds of people in a weak attempt to get to my first period. "A lot of shit. Mom was getting on my case again this morning because I still haven't started packing yet, I have a test in my first period that I am not even remotely prepared for, and to top it all off, we were all out of Apple Jacks this morning."

"It is a hard knock life," Cason sighed mockingly, causing me to roll my eyes. His smile seemed to falter though after a second and he glanced up at me. "So, they're really going through with it, huh...?"

"Looking that way."

"Any chance they'd let you stay with me?" He offered hopefully. "Just let you ride out the year? At least until graduation."

I pursed my lips and shrugged. "Doubtful. But thanks, man. I'll catch you later; I've got to go study for this damn test."

Heaving a sigh, Carson clapped me on the back once again and nodded, telling me he'd see me during third period. I walked into my first period and plopped down in my usual seat in the back corner, pulled out my chemistry book and glanced up at the clock. Alright. Let's see what ten minutes of studying can do.

As the ten minutes droned on and I grew more and more anxious, I quickly made the decision to... wait for it... cheat. Yes, now, I know what you guys are thinking, but chemistry is the only subject that I have a C in right now. If I get a good grade on this test, it could raise my grade up to a B. At least a B-!  I'm leaving soon anyway. I might as well risk it all. I glanced around; heart pounding in my chest, making sure that no one was looking my way. Hesitantly, I pulled out my phone.

The classroom was still fairly empty, with only a few kids just staring at their phone, not even really worrying about the test. After I snapped a few pictures of the study guide, I quickly jammed the phone back into my pocket and sucked in a breath. This will only be used as a last resort. That's it. Only if I can't remember and I feel like I'm going to fail.

I continued to study my notebook as students began to slowly file in, sitting in their usual seats. A few of my friends from the football team sat near me, distracting me even more from the task at hand. Finally, our teacher, Mr. Puckett, arrived, all but throwing his things onto his desk, looking way more excited than one should be when about to hand out a test. He began to call role as the bell rang and the final student burst through the door, dragging a hand through his pitch black hair.

"Mr. Mitchell," Mr. Puckett began, clicking is tongue at the young troublemaker. He peered at the student over his glasses, a distasteful look in his eyes. "You always have to make an entrance, don't you? Never a minute early but always a minute late."

"What can I say, I'm a creature of habit," The student, Abel Mitchell, local delinquent, smirked, walking past me towards his seat. The smell of cigarettes and roses followed after him. I rolled my eyes. I've always hated that kind of thing. Being late every single day, it was just plain disrespectful. Mr. Puckett signed, crossing off the final names on his attendance sheet.

"We're going to pretend that you were late because you were so busy studying for your test that you simply lost track of time, alright, Abel?" He began, picking up a stack of paper, sending Abel a glare. Abel flashed him those pearly whites once more.

"That's exactly right."

I guess Mr. Puckett decided that it was just better not to reply at this point because he simply began passing out the test. I felt my nerves start to boil up inside of me once more as he finally got to me, giving me a reassuring smile, and placing the stapled together papers in front of me.