Chapter One; Cheater, Cheater

"Knock, knock," My mother playfully banged on the side of the door to my bedroom. She leaned against the frame with a smile on her face and a laundry basket on her hip. Her mousy brown hair was tied back into a loose ponytail and her chocolate colored eyes were lost behind her thick glasses. She glanced around my room, pursing her lips. "Riley, why haven't you started packing yet?"

I parted my hair in the mirror, my brown eyes that matched my mother's stared back at me. I snapped my black backpack off of the ground and slung it over my shoulder, flashing my mother a sour smile. "I don't want to move. I like it here, so I'm keeping my stuff here."

"Riley, you're seventeen years old. Practically an adult," She sighed, shaking her head. She stepped into my room and looked around at the discarded boxes that sat in the corner, untouched since she first put them there. "You need to act like it."

I wrinkled my lip but pushed past her out of my room and headed to the front door, snagging my keys off of the counter. My mother followed me downstairs. "I swear, Riley, if you don't start packing soon, one day, you're just going to come home and your whole room will be packed up. I mean it. I'll do it myself and I don't think you want me riffling through your drawers. Riley, do you hear me?"

I rolled my eyes and slipped on my tennis shoes, once again, not answering. She folded her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes. "I'm talking to you, Riley. No more games; I'm done playing around with you. I'll ship it to the new house so fast your head will spin. If you don't want that happening then you better get to packing yourself."

My stomach flipped at that. Deciding it was better not to answer; I continued to sulk and kneeled down to tie my shoes, not bothering to look up at her. Finally, she sighed and leaned against the wall, looking blankly towards the window. "I don't want to leave this place either, you know."

I hesitated, knotting my shoe laces. I muttered a quiet, "I know," before standing up once again. I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and walked out of the door and too my car. I started it up and pulled out, heading to school. In all honestly though, I wasn't really paying any attention to the road.

Yes, folks, you've heard it here first. Riley Love is moving away. Away from his home of seventeen years, home to all of his friends, away from his school and all of his family he had here. I leaned on my hand against the window.

Well... I guess it won't be so bad, right? I mean, I am a senior this year so I won't have to be stuck there for too long. That's a plus I guess. But I had my whole life planned out! I had everything mapped out, where I wanted to go to college, where I wanted to live when I got out... Everything was right here, in my hometown. The very place I was being forced to leave behind.

While it may not seem like a big deal to any of you, it really was to me. My whole life was here. But because of my father's work, I was being uprooted and forced away. I blew up my bangs.

This year was supposed to be my year. It was supposed to great. I would take the football team all the way to states. I would ace all of my classes and date the hottest girl in school. I was supposed to be more than just the golden boy this year. Someone with actual purpose, not just status.

I pulled into the school parking lot and grabbed my backpack from the passenger's seat. I hopped out and entered the school, strolling towards my locker. I was greeted by my usual familiar face, Carson, bounding towards me. Carson had been my best friend since seventh grade when we got in a fistfight over who would be getting a seat at the lunch table. We were stuck in detention for a week but we'd been inseparable ever since.

"Good morning, Ry," He all but sang, clapping me on the back and beaming that huge smile of his. "How the hell are you doing this fine morning?"

I curled my lip and shoved his hand away, my hand tightening on the strap of my backpack. "Take a guess. It's way too early for you to be this happy. Making me sick."