«six»

ten years ago, 8-12 months after they met
" wishing that the past will come back to me is nothing but a dream "
      – seventeen's 떠내려가

huang renjun

i sat rooted to my chair, head against the table and hands sprawled across it, closing my eyes to rest in this early morning.

however, my rest was interrupted as a conversation nearby me perks my ears.

a familiar name that i hadn't called for so long.

the two girls continue their gossip as i try not to seem as if i was listening in.

"hey, have you heard? hye ra is dating mark sunbae."

"what? park hye ra? really?" the other girl gasps. as i hear her words, my heartbeat accelerates.

i wondered why.

"i heard rumours..." the two girls suddenly turn silent. "you think renjun might know?" i hear one of them whisper, but i heard them loud and clear.

"who knows. why not you ask him?" another voice probes.

"hey...renjun?" the girls call out to me timidly, and i raise my head.

"is it true that park hye ra is dating mark sunbae? you should know, right? after all, you and hye ra are good friends." she asked curiously, but i felt something snap in me.

i didn't like how i don't know how to answer them.

or more like...

i didn't like what they asked me.

i unknowing clench my fists tightly and answered them. "who are you to care?" i snap, before returning to my original position.

i had expected them to stop gossiping, but i was wrong. annoyed, i abruptly stood up and stalked out of the classroom, plugging my earpieces into my ear as i do.

entering the hallways, i stuff my hands into my blazer pockets and sighed.

"what's wrong with me?" i murmur to myself. the alleys were quite empty since not most students had arrived in school.

as i look up again, i catch sight of two very familiar silhouettes.

turning into my direction, i didn't even notice that i was staring at them.

at least, not until i make accidental eye contact with her.

the subject of the two girl's gossip.

i couldn't help but look away.

exhaling, i realise how my thoughts keep swirling in my mind.

how i couldn't get my mind off her.

was she...really dating mark?

wait, no...why am i thinking this?

why do i care?

it wasn't my problem that they were dating.

but my heart says otherwise.

if only i wasn't so naive at that time.

if only i knew myself better,

would i express my emotions.

but i was too late to realise these sentiments.

i was too late to understand myself.

perhaps, if i had known earlier, would things have changed in the future?

but there is no use in changing the past.

if i could rewind time once again, would i have known earlier?

how much i wanted her back.

how much i missed her.

how i wanted so badly that i would've known my feelings at that time.

_________________________

park hye ra

mark and i walk side by side in the empty hallways in school.

our hands naturally dangling between us, his hands move towards mine and our fingers interlock. i look up at him in surprise, and he looks back at me with a smile.

"we're in school now..." i whisper.

"it should be fine, there's seldom anyone in school now." he lifts his other arm and ruffles my hair, flashing a cheeky smile.

"there has been rumours going around." i say, feeling my cheeks flush red.

"they aren't rumours, are they? it's true," mark chuckles. "why, are they affecting you?"

"no, not really. it just feels...weird." i quietly say, and we both turn a corner. at the same time, i glance up and my eyes meet his.

just when i was thinking of him.

he quickly looks away, but my eyes stayed longer on him than they were supposed to.

mark pulls me closer to him as he walks past the two of us. "weird, huh?" he murmurs.

i was fairly sure mark knew what i meant.

"i guess i can't blame you. i was the one who convinced you to date me...even when you only look at someone else." he chuckles.

"...i'm sorry, i shouldn't have said that. it slipped my mind." i cast my eyes to the ground, and i feel his hands tighten around mine.

"that's okay. you'll forget him, i'll make sure of that." he stops walking, and i look up at him quizzically.

just then, a group of girls were noisily walking in our way. alarmed, i wanted to pull away, but instead, mark does the opposite.

he yanks onto our held hands, and his other hand reaches out to my face. i blink up at him in shock.

"mark...?" i gasped at his actions.

the group of girls were getting closer, their voices louder.

"i told you i'll make sure you forget him, forget everything." he says, and he leans into me.

everything happened almost immediately. mark's lips touched mine, and the girls that came in our way saw it. they all exclaimed in surprise, but i couldn't hear them.

my mind was blank, and i froze up right there. when he his fingers finally slide away from my cheeks, i was still rooted to the ground, not a single word escaping me.

i was then reminded of his words.

i told you i'll make sure you forget him, forget everything.

and somehow...a part of me thought that he was almost right,

for the traces of renjun slowly left me, and the pieces of my heart gradually came back.

_______________________

A/N: story ending soon!! what kind of ending are you expecting?