«five»

2018, 7.5 months after they met
" under the same sky in this different time, our hearts are connected "
– nct 127's sun and moon

huang renjun

"hyunjoo-yah, can you give me a second?" i ask as i glance in hye ra's direction.

"why? are you going to see park hye ra?" she replies with another question.

"yeah, she looks–"

"i'm sure she's fine, you don't have to worry." she cuts my sentence off, and i run out of words to say.

"...right." i utter. a part of me felt like this wasn't right.

but at that point of time, perhaps i was too naive.

________________________

park hye ra

i pull the straps of my school bag as approach my work place in fast steps. i hold onto the cool, metallic door handle and push it open myself. inhaling the scent of coffee in the air, i crack a smile.

i don't notice the cheerful jingle of the bell like i always do.

i made a beeline to the staff room behind the coffee counter. entering the somewhat small room, someone walks out too, but i don't see them.

in the end, i bump into the person. "ow," i wince, and look up. "oh...sorry, mark."

"hye ra?" he blinks in surprise.

"just here to put my belongings down." I ignore his surprise and squeezed past him.

i realise he still hasn't left the room.

"why are you still here?" i open a random locker, thrusting my backpack inside.

he doesn't reply.

the room is left in a silence.

i grab the apron that was neatly folded inside the locker, tying it around me.

for some reason, i felt nervous. it felt like he was observing me, like he knew my emotions.

i glance towards the door, and he was still leaning against it. i simply try to exit the room, averting eye contact.

but his voice stops me.

"you know, i noticed." he says, and i unknowingly gulped.

"what?" i still don't look him in the eye. i didn't dare to.

"you don't come with renjun anymore," he comments, pushing himself off the door.

he seemed like he had more to say, so i waited for him to continue.

"i thought it was just a one time thing, but he really doesn't come with you. and then...i saw how you started walking alone in the hallways." he strides up directly in front of me.

"it doesn't matter, does it?" i let out a whisper.

i could feel his eyes on me. "are you sure?"

i hesitated. "yes."

"you're lying, hye ra." he claims, but i knew he was right.

and he knew that he was right.

"why are you saying this?" i manage to breath out, and i finally looked up from the ground, wanting to meet his eyes.

but his eyes weren't on mine anymore. this time, he cast his to the floor.

"...if you ever need me, i can help you get over him." he softly says, but i heard him crisp clear.

i widen my eyes.

how could I ever ask...?

"mark, you–"

"just know that." he interrupts, and i decide to think through his words.

"no, you'll just be my rebound." i refused flatly. mark gazes at me.

"i mean it, okay? i...don't mind being your rebound," he says. "i don't want you to look sad."

"...thank you, mark, but i think i need some time." i say as the two of our eyes meet.

he flashes me a smile and turned to walk away, and i watch as he does.

_________________________