No Turning Back Now

Alex is sitting across the table from me looking shocked. He literally hasn’t said a word since I told him. After a few more minutes, I’m tempted to call an ambulance because he’s still not speaking. Is it possible to go into shock like this?

Finally he speaks, “so when are you leaving?”

“I start after the 4th of July so I’m going to start packing up some stuff and moving it there. I’ve already been given time off from work so I can start the transition. Most likely by week’s end you can start moving your stuff back into the condo and I can stay with Lisa until I leave.”

“Wow. I’m really happy for you Kayla but are you going to be okay by yourself up there?”

Not really, I think. I’m scared because I’m going somewhere I have absolutely nobody and I’m pregnant to top it off. Oh and by the way, it’s yours. I don’t say this out loud of course.

“Yeah I’ll be fine. I’m all grown up,” I say shrugging my shoulders to convey how confident I am even though I’m scared shitless.

“Well like I said before, I’m really going to miss you but we can keep in touch right?”

“Yeah of course.”

“Just let me know if you need any help moving stuff.”

“The company has paid for movers and a moving van and everything. I just need to get it packed.”

“Just let me know okay? And we’ll have to get together before you leave, yeah?”

“Of course. I should really head back because Eva’s leaving in a few hours and I want to spend some more time with her. Thanks for…being you Alex.” I get up and kiss him on the cheek and walk out of the café.

I walk back to the condo feeling like such an idiot for not telling him but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I’m okay with this decision, Eva not so much.

“Why didn’t you tell him? You’re such an idiot sometimes Kayla!” Only my best friend could get away with talking to me like that…and she’s not so far off from the truth.

“I just couldn’t Eva. Please respect my decision. I can’t tell him and then expect him to drop everything and move to Boston for us. Or worse, I don’t want to know if he didn’t plan on being with us. It’s just better this way.”

“Well if you ever need anything, you know you can call me and I’ll be there in a jiffy.”

“Yes I know this and I really appreciate it. Now you should really get going so you don’t miss your flight. I’ll see you on the 4th anyway.”

“Okay sweetie. You take care of yourself and that little one and I’ll see you soon.”

And then she was gone. Just as I’m about to walk out of the door so I can visit my parents, Matt is arriving.

“Hey Matt. What are you doing here?”

“I was hoping we could talk.”

“I’d like that but I was on my way to my parents’ house.”

“Okay then, I’ll drive you. Stacy and Ty are there also and I’m sure Lisa will be there.”

“Umm…okay.”

So we start the hour plus drive to my parents’ house in complete silence. I’m admiring the scenery and thinking about how much I’m going to miss making this drive. I start to tear up just thinking about it. Leave it to me to get emotional over the smallest things.

“I was being serious last night Kayla about helping you with the baby.”

“I know you were Matt but I’m not going to let you do that.”