the heart thief- |03|

Start from the beginning

                 "I think he's a piece of shit."

                 "I think he is just a man," I returned, the flatness of my tone revealing far more than the few spoken words.

                  He cocked a skeptical brow. "We are not all the same if that's what you're implying." A shadow passed over his face. "You just picked the wrong one, Millie."

                   "Is there a right one?" I challenged, lifting my own brow. "You mean to say the right men are the ones we women should trust because they won't let us down?" I snorted in disbelief.

                   "Is that so hard to believe?"

                   "I'm not one to be swayed by someone's point of view." I glanced away, my mind whirling. "Let me let you on something, Roman." I leaned toward him. "Stan wasn't the only man I had gone out on a date with. There were three others before him — though all had different reasons for not working out, they were all the same. Men are selfish and only care about what they want."

                  I chuckled, not finding humour in my words. "You know the perfect guy? He doesn't exist in real life. You can only find him in books, and that's because he's made up, Roman. Something that is made up will, of course, be perfect." I smiled. "I'm not saying you're bad. God, no. I don't know you enough to say that, but you're young. You like to have fun, don't you? You're a no commitment man."

                   He stared hard at me. Powerful muscle in his neck and shoulders bunched and rippled as he threw back his head to look up, his strong profile revealing how tightly clenched his jaw, how grim-set his handsome features were.

                 "I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry."

                 His head dipped to meet mine. His piercing gaze made me quiver, sending goosebumps down my spine. For the life of me, I couldn't look away from him. His features broke into a warm smile that slightly surprised me.

                   "What if I prove you wrong, Millie?" His voice had deepened, and there was a rough edge to it. "Are you willing to let me prove you wrong?" His eyes were almost sparkling now.

                   "What do you mean?"

                "The kind of man you want..do you doubt that he exists?"

                     "He doesn't exist."

                     "What if I say he does? What if I find him for you? Flawless, perfect...everything you need and desire?"

                     A loud snort of laughter escaped my lips. "It was nice meeting you, Roman." I tried to get out of my chair, but his hand came out and grasped mine to keep me sitting in my chair.

                   I gasped as a wave of electricity passed through my body as a result of his touch, and Roman swiftly relinquished his hold on me.

                     "Hear me out, please," he said. "Love, trust, and loyalty — that's what you're looking for, right?" I nodded just to play along. "How old are you? Twenty-eight?"

                    I shook my head, a bit flattered that he thought I looked like a twenty-eight-year-old woman. "Thirty-two," I said.

                   But he surprised me by gaping at me as if he could hardly believe his ears. "Really? You don't look like your age."

                   A frown took over my face. "I don't know if that's a compliment."

                  He chuckled. "Millie, you know it's a compliment, take it." Relief sliced through me, hot and swift, especially when he waved his hand around. "I think you're the hottest woman I have ever picked up."