- 14 | B O R O M I R

I woke up with my head on someone's shoulder. I saw Legolas looking at me from the fire. I stood carefully up, not wanting to wake Boromir and walked over to him.

He didn't acknowledge me and I frowned. "Is there something wrong?"

He looked at me. "Do you love him?"

"Who?" I asked, confused.

He looked at Boromir and I followed his look. "Why would you think I'm in love with him?"

"You didn't return yesterday."

I shook my head. "I'm not in love with him Legolas. But I do care about him, he's my friend after all and he's a good guy."

Legolas nodded and I saw that he was relieved. "You want some lembas?" I smiled and nodded, taking a piece of it and putting it in my mouth.

By the time the morning had set in, we were already in our boat. We sailed down the Anduin and passed the Argonath. My ancestors apparently. We pulled up on the shores of Amon Hen, setting up our camp. I looked around. I could feel a dark present and I didn't like it.

"We cross the lake at nightfall," Aragorn said. "Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north."

"Oh, yes? It's just a simple matter of finding our way through Emmy Muil? An impassable labyrinth or razor-sharp rocks! Festering, stinking marshlands far as the eye can see," Gimli grumbled.

"That's our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, master dwarf." Aragorn instructed.

"Recover my...?" Gimli huffed.

I saw Legolas approaching Aragorn.

"We should leave now." He said. I walked over to them. "Legolas is right. There is something wrong with this place." I said, looking suspiciously around, expecting every moment an orcattack.

"No, orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for the cover of the darkness." Aragorn replied, shaking his head.

"It's not the eastern shore that worries me," Legolas argued, "A shadow and a threat had been growing in my head. Something draws near. I can feel it."

I put my hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. "I feel it too, Aragorn."

Before Aragorn could reply, Merry interrupted our conversation.

"Where is Frodo?"

I looked around, seeing no sign of Frodo or Boromir.

No.

Before anyone could stop me, I followed the Hobbit's trail. I followed his footsteps until I could hear voices arguing with each other. When I located the voices and finally got there, Boromir laid on the ground, guilt filled his expression. He looked up when he heard me.

"Gwen, I'm so sorry."

I looked at him and saw that he was truly sorry. I held out my hand.

"Come on, let's find him and apologize." He nodded and took my hand. I pulled him up and together we looked for Frodo.

What we didn't expect to find was Merry and Pippin, surrounded by Uruk-Hai. I shared a glance with Boromir, who nodded. I took my bow and an arrow and started shooting. I had already taken out ten Uruk-Hai before I switched over to my sword. Boromir and I stood back to back, protecting each other's back.

I dodged someone's sword and beheaded the other. I looked around and saw that an orc pointed his bow at Boromir.

"Watch out!" I yelled, pulling Boromir to me. The arrow missed Boromir by inches.

"Thanks," He murmured.

"You can thank me when we get out of here alive," I replied. "There are to many Uruk-Hai and to few of us."

"I can fix that," he replied, while getting his horn.

"I'm not sure if that's.." my sentence was interrupted by the sound of his horn. "Such a good idea." I continued.

Even more Uruk-Hai appeared from the bushes. Fortunately for us Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn decided to join the party.

When I looked back at Boromir, I saw that he was hit with a black arrow.

"No!" I shouted. Boromir stood back up and threw himself back in battle. It took another two arrows to bring him down.

I screamed and killed as many Uruk-Hai as I could. By the time I was done, my clothes were stained with blood.

I fell on the ground next to Boromir and put his head in my lap.

"Hold on," I said to him, "everything will be alright."

I looked desperately around, trying to find help. Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli were fighting with the last Uruk-Hai. It would soon be over.

"Gwen," he whispered, "They got the little ones."

I nodded. "I know." While I was chopping of heads, I saw them taking Merry and Pippin. I tried to get to them, but they blocked my way. At the time I was done with them, they were already gone.

"Gwen," he began again, coughing up blood, "I'm going to die."

I shook my head, tears were running from my face now.

"No, I won't allow that!"

I remembered my healing powers and opened my water bottle. "Come on, Come on." I whispered.

I put my hands softly on his chest and closed my eyes. "Please let it work."

A hand took my hand and gently leaded it away. "It won't work," Boromir said. "I'm betting it had poison on it."

"I am not letting you die! Not on my watch!" I argued. He smiled at me. "It's okay, princess, I do not fear death."

I felt so useless. "Well," I began, "as your princess, I order you not to die."

Boromir chuckled. "I wish I could follow your command." He became serious now. "Promise me you will protect our people, promise me, Gwen, please."

I kissed his forehead. "I promise."

He smiled. "I'm sorry I won't make it to your coronation."

"Don't worry," I whispered, "you'll be there."

He nodded. "I will."

"Gwen?" He murmured. I looked at him, instead of his wounds. "Yeah?" "Will you tell my brother I love him?" I smiled and nodded. "Don't worry, I will." He relaxed and looked at the sky.

"It's beautiful out here," he said quietly, "people should take a time to admire the nature."

That was the last thing Boromir said before he died. Crying, I closed his eyes and kissed his forehead. "Your fight is over," I whispered, "may we meet again."

I buried my face in his body, not ready to face the world yet.

"Gwen?" Aragorn said. I looked up and looked at them. "He's dead." I was surprised at how cold my voice sounded. I stood up and laid him down, carefully. "We should give him a proper funeral."

Aragorn put his arms around me and I leaned on him. "It was my fault," I whispered in his shoulder. "I should've pushed him out of the way. I wasn't fast enough. First Gandalf and now Boromir."

"Shh, sweetheart," Aragorn began, holding me tight. "Nothing of this is your fault."

I put my arms around him and buried my head in his chest.

We stood there for a while and I put myself together. I let him go and looked around me, coldly.

"Go pack your things, we're going to hunt some orcs."