{~*~Chapter Ten~*~}

MIDORI POV

I woke up to see a lot of medical equipment hooked up to my body with many bags filled with essential body chemicals hanging from the ceiling. To think that I wasn't in the intensive care room was an understatement. While I was thinking about the recent events leading up to me being placed on an operating table Tsunade walked in. She came in with a clipboard and Sakura right behind her.

"How are you feeling Midori?" Sakura asked as she started unhooking everything from my body. I felt relaxed as the last one was taken off and mentally patted myself on the back for not ripping them out myself. She smiled at me before walking out of the room.

"Much better than before. What happened to the poison?" I sat patiently as Tsunade looked me over and started testing marking off on her papers. "Sasuke came back right in time before I started amputating your arm. The poison was spreading faster than we anticipated and getting rid of the source would have stopped the progression, but if wouldn't have gotten the rest of the poison out." She seemed to smile to herself bitterly before sighing.

"I'm glad we didn't continue with the procedure. It would take a while for you to get adjusted to having one arm to do everything." Sakura said as she came back in the room with a wheelchair. "Your body is weak right now from trying to fight the poison, so the wheelchair and bed rest are mandatory. No exceptions." She added when I opened my mouth to protest. 

They had me sign the discharge papers before I got transferred over to the wheelchair. Just as they said my legs couldn't handle my own weight and buckled when they touched the ground. Sakura and Tsunade carefully set me down before wheeling me out to the lobby.

As we got closer I saw Sasuke standing there holding a blue stuffed bear that was half his size. He still had on his ANBU uniform so I wondered if he even went home at all. Sakura stopped me in front of him and patted my shoulder before she headed towards the front counter. "Here's the medical cream that will help your muscles get their strength back. Apply it to your arms and legs after showering or before bed." Tsunade hung the bag on the handle and left.

There was a brief period of silence between us as we stared at each other. "How are you feeling?" Sasuke asked. "I'm feeling great since the antidote is working." I smiled up at him as I saw relief on his face. "Thank you for coming back in time Sasuke."  I told him as he handed me the bear and started steering my wheelchair towards the exit.

"No problem. I'm glad I made it back in time." He put a comforting hand on my shoulder as we traveled back to our house. On the way there we made several stops for the villagers who wanted to know if I'm okay. The shop owners were relieved that I was recovering and gave me food that will speed up the process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we finally got back, Sasuke went ahead to set down the gifts as I sat there waiting. I tried to move my legs but it took a lot of effort to lift even one a few inches off the step. I gave up after seeing no other progress being made. My right arm that got hit with the poison is still paralyzed and the other seemed to move normally but was still weak.

I sighed as I realized I won't be able to do anything until my body heals completely. Meaning I have to be cooped up in the house without feeling any of the adrenaline that usually pumps through my veins during missions. Ena and Rito might come to visit me but even that won't help fill the longing of traveling.

When he came back, Sasuke gently picked me up bridal style and carried me to the bedroom. There was already a comfortable looking pile of pillows leaning against the headboard for back support. He set me down slowly before making sure I was comfortable. 

"Thanks Sasuke." I told him as he brought me a glass of water. "You're welcome Midori. Just relax until you feel better." He helped me drink the cool liquid and set the glass on the side table before climbing into bed. We had about five inches of space between us, but I still felt heat radiating from his body.

"If you want to shower later just let me know. I'll help you put the cream on afterwards." Sasuke softly stroked my head as I felt content feeling his warmth. As I was dozing off my mind re-registered what he just said. How am I supposed to shower when my body is weak? My heart started to beat faster as the inevitable event of being seen by him crossed my mind.

Oh crap.