{~*~Chapter Nine~*~}

MIDORI POV

I sat in front of the window of the cafeteria, eating the sweet bread with my left hand since my right arm was still paralyzed. It's been a week since Sasuke left to track down the boss and get the antidote, and I've been stuck in the hospital because Sakura wanted to keep me monitored in case something goes wrong. It hasn't really been fun staying in my assigned room without having any freedom to go outside. They've only allowed the window to open halfway to allow me to feel the air but that was it. I have also considered escaping, but that would only get me yelled at by Naruto or my teammates.

I let out a depressed sigh as I walked back to my room and sat on my bed. It wasn't long after when I heard a knock on the door. "Come in." I spoke softly as Ena and Rito came in carrying heavy bags. "Mi-chan!" Ena dropped her bags before tackling me on the bed, being careful not to hit my arm. "I'm sorry I haven't been able too see you all week!!" She cried into my shoulder as I petted her head. "It's okay Ena. I've missed you guys so much. I wish I could leave but they still won't let me." I moved so that both of them have a spot on the bed where they could sit.

"We heard from Naruto that Sasuke's team located the boss. It shouldn't take long for them to come back, probably less than a week." Rito said while he brought one the bags onto the bed and handed it to me. I looked inside to see my favorite snacks along with chocolate. "There's more in the other bags. Hopefully they will last you until he comes back." Ena and Rito both stayed with me until visiting hours were over, updating me on everything that's been happening around the village. Including the details on their marriage. 

After they left, I ate some of the snacks and put the rest on the table before laying down on my bed. The pain in my shoulder seemed to stop at the moment, but that wouldn't mean that it still wasn't spreading to other areas. I looked out the window and saw the stars brightly showing through the passing clouds, and wondered what would happen if I didn't make it. What if I die before Sasuke came back? Or what if something bad happens to him and he never came back? I quickly shook those thoughts out of my head before I think of anything else. As I closed my eyes I wished that everything will be okay in the end. 

No matter how long it takes....

I will wait for him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SASUKE POV

Blood splattered across my mask as the boss fell to his knees holding onto the katana embedded in his chest. He gave me a look of pure hatred before he shuddered, his body unable to take the damage and fell to the ground. I waited to make sure the light left his eyes before heading to the secret room behind his desk. There was a safe hidden from view that only took seconds to find. The boss would be stupid not to leave the antidote with him in case one of his ninjas back-stabbed him. I took the vial out and carefully wrapped it with a small towel before securing it in a concealed pocket of my uniform.

"I guess we're done then." My teammates surrounded me while staring at the lifeless body. "Let's get back to Konoha. We took care of our business here." I told them before heading out. As soon as I got out of the building I took off in the direction of the leaf village. My teammates followed followed behind me while keeping pace as I ran. Midori was waiting for me to come back and I will definitely fulfill my promise and save her.

'I hope I'm not too late.' I thought as I ran full speed to the hospital. It took four days to travel back and the entire time I haven't stopped to rest unless I needed to rebuild my energy. Her life is on the line and I didn't want to think of what would happen if it was too late. When I got close to her room I noticed that something was wrong. It was the middle of the night and her room light was still on. When I got closer I saw blood all over the white sheets and I felt light headed.

"Midori!" I called out as I entered the room. That's when I noticed that there were loud voices from the hall. The door to the room was open so I ran out and grabbed the closest nurse. "She's in the emergency room. She was throwing up so much blood so they rushed her there!" She quickly told me before running to the supply room. I ran to the emergency room where I saw Naruto pacing in front of the room while Hinata tried to calm him down.

"Sasuke-kun, there you are!" Hinata called out, which got Naruto to run towards me. "You have the antidote right?! They're about to cut off her arm!" He screamed as I pulled out the antidote. We rushed into the room just in time as Tsunade had the knife above Midori's skin. "Is that the antidote?!" Her face lit up as she set the surgical tool down and took the medicine. She tilted Midori's head while gently pouring the vial's contents into her mouth. We all held our breaths and waited before Sakura went to the table and started taking the rest of bandages off of her arm.

We all let out a sigh of relief as the dark color slowly started to fade from her skin. "You came back just in time Sasuke." Tsunade spoke as I stopped next to her and took off my mask. Midori's face looked relaxed as the antidote took affect. I gently touched her cheek before the nurses told us to come back in the morning since they had to run tests and make sure that the poison completely left her body.

"I'm glad she's okay!!" Naruto wiped his eyes with his sleeve as Hinata rubbed his back reassuringly. "Thank you for coming back as fast as you could Sasuke-kun." Hinata looked at me with gratitude before taking Naruto home. I sat on the bench outside of the hospital and silently stared at the air in front of me. The initial shock of what happened hasn't hit me until now, and I realized how close I was to losing her. If I had been a few seconds late Tsunade might of been halfway finished amputating Midori's arm, and what if that didn't help stop the remaining poison that was in her system.

I started to remember the good and bad times we both spent together. How she was always supportive of me and my decisions and stood by my side when I felt like there was nothing else in the world. She was always there and we have been friends for so long. I couldn't even think of how I could keep on living if she wasn't here. Even more so when I know both of our feelings are mutual. I silently prayed to kami that the would make it, and that I would get to see her smiling face again.

As tears escaped...