Heat

The day was hot. That's what you immediately thought when you woke up. Your room has thick tarps draped around which didn't help with the heat either. You stepped out of bed with your nightgown and unruly (h/c) hair. You walked into your old kitchen and looked up to a picture of your family. A kind, and plump couple stared down warmly onto you. Your heart filled with a bittersweet hopefulness. You haven't seen your parents in years but, you never gave up hope.

You were too hot to make a filling breakfast. Instead, you picked an orange from your old tree and began to peel. The sweetness of the orange and the occasional tart flavor of leftover peel brought comfort as you made your way back to your house to get dressed for the rest of the day.

You worked at a local bookshop. It never had too many customers so you only made enough to get by. On hot days like this, the shop owner Mr Clairfield usually let you leave early. Noone wanted to leave the coolness of their homes on days like this.

As you expected, there was almost no business-except for a scruffy boy who bought a book on the periodic table. Your sleepy town of Old Corona never had much going on anyway.  Mid-day heat finally reached its peak and Clairfield allowed you to take the rest of the day off. Your mind instantly went to the idea of taking a dip in a secret spring only you new the location of. You sped out the door hoping to get in while the water was still cool.

Once you walked out of your bookstore you made your way into the center of the woods and almost made it to the clearing with the spring until you felt something rumble beneath your feet. You looked down and a black spike shot out of the ground. You tried to dodge it but it slide up your leg creating a huge gash on your side. You fell over and for a second thought the rocks would slice you into pieces. But a surge of adrenaline had you rolling away and soon you were running as fast as you could despite the pain in your side. As you were running from the following rocks you heard a loud scream and for whatever reason, you decided to run in the direction where you heard it. You were completely oblivious to who was screaming until you saw a trail of golden hair . Your heart stopped.

Is that . . . the princess?!?!

You were sure of your answer when the hair began to move and you saw the princess herself along with two other people, running in your direction from another row of rocks. Realizing they were running into a dead end you yelled NOOO!! in hopes of gaining their antention before it was too late. But they ran right into you. 

You all tumbled until you were at the edge of a cluster of spikes. You had'nt realized your eyes were closed until you felt someone tapping your chin. You opened them to see the princess looking at your with an worried expression.

I am so sorry! Are you okay?

You were a little dazed so it took a while to catch your breath. So you nodded instead. The princess helped you up and once your finally regained your composure you kneeled in front of the princess in a panicked but formal matter.

YOur HiGhNeSs!!! Please forgive me for getting in your way!! Your head was down in an humble position.

You heard a laugh. "What are you apologizing for? If you hadn't had warned up we would've been minced meat by now." A man who you assumed was the man known as Flynn Rider grinned down onto you.

The princess helped you up. "Yes, I must thank you for that. Do you have any ideas when the rocks came from? Or even what they are?"

"No" you started,"I was running away from them just as you were." You suddenly remembered the gash on your side and look down to inspect it. There was a gasp. A woman with short black hair rushed to your side.

"Oh! You're injured! Let us help!" She reached for a medical pouch and took out an ointment, but before she could run apply it the ground began to shake again. Suddenly the black spikes separated everyone. You saw the rocks making their way toward princess and without thinking, jumped right in front of her. 

A rock plunged into your leg, then your side. then . .  you blacked out . . . 

*Okay! That was the first chaper tell me how you liked it. I will try to update every few days and the romance chapters wont be for a while but Varian is coming VERY soon. I hope you enjoyed this short chapter. byeee*

-Mini_Terror