Chapter 1 - Hot Chocolate

Sarah

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, the ringtone breaking into my music. I sighed and sat up. Crossing my legs and resting my elbows on my knees, I read the text:

Hi honey, I'm on my way home, something has come up, I'll explain when I get there, can you put the kettle on? We're going to need at least 5 hot chocolates.  Thanks, Mum xxxxxxxxxx

Okkkaaayy, I wonder what "has come up"? I hope it's nothing bad. I quickly text back saying I'd do it, knowing better than to push my mother for an explanation now, besides she's probably driving anyway.

Letting out another sigh I pushed myself up off the floor and made my way towards the kitchen. I had been laying in the patch of sunlight that had leaked through the window to bless me with it's warmth. It's one of the things I do to relax, just listening to music, laying there on the floor.

Trust me, it's just as good as a massage or a spa day, but free! It's because of things like this that most people have come to the understandable conclusion that I have a streak of madness, and in the case of the kids at school, that I am a freak. But this is how I like it, if they can't be bothered to speak to me to find out anything beyond that tag, then I don't want to speak to them. Not that I'd ever be mean to them or anything, it's just that this is me and I'm not going to change to make myself "normal". I don't feel that I need to prove myself to them. So I keep to myself, and let them think what they want to think.

I pushed my long black hair over my shoulder as I started filling up the kettle. While it was boiling I got out the cups, spoons, milk and lastly...cream and marshmallows! You can't have hot chocolate without cream and marshmallows.

I hummed to myself as the kettle continued to boil, letting my mind wander over the possibilities of what had happened. The best I managed to come up with was that one of mum's friends was upset over something and they were all coming back here to talk about it over hot chocolates. I knew that someone, or a few someones were upset because hot chocolate is the "here you go, this will make you feel better drink" in my family.

I was just adding the marshmallows to the last hot chocolate when I heard the car pull up, by then I had worked myself into a state over what was wrong and for some weird reason felt really anxious about seeing mum and hearing her explanation. Not to mention meeting who ever she had bought with her!