Chapter Three - Unsure

Start from the beginning

I sighed, if I called Harriet and explained I knew she'd ignore my resignation... but I wasn't sure I regretted my decision, just the lack of money I was surely going to run into without an income.

"Oh." Noah sat down, he was sweaty. He'd just been for a run, or a workout. I looked away, I couldn't afford to be distracted by him right now.

"So I thought I'd look for a job, but there isn't much going."

"So we're both at a roadblock." Noah noted. "Unsure of what to do with our lives."

I went to deny what he was saying, but it occurred to me that I'd been lying to everyone about my plans. He'd been the first person to tell me what I already knew about myself. I smiled and nodded.

"Guess we make great company for one another then."

Noah let out a long sigh and stretched. He tapped on the table top. "I've got an idea." He murmured. "Maybe it'll cheer us both up."

I looked at him and shrugged. "It's worth a try... well depending on what you have in mind."

"A little stress relief. I noticed when I drove in that there is a paintball war game just out of town. We could head out there and shoot some people with balls of paint."

I let out a laugh. "You're kidding, right?"

"Not at all." He mused. "Come on Vi, lets go shoot shit and forget everything that's worrying us."

For the first time since he'd arrived I saw a spark in Noah's eyes. I smiled and nodded, what was the harm? "Yeah okay, I'll go get changed then."

Noah lifted his hand into the air and let out a whoop. I shook my head and ran upstairs to my room. I pulled a pair of black workout pants from my draws and a dark green singlet. I was going for comfort, and camouflage. I pulled my jeans and t-shirt of and put the outfit on. My dark brown hair was still in a bun from before work, so I pulled it free and restyled it in a high ponytail. I grabbed a black hoodie as I walked from the room and back downstairs.

"Ready?"

"Yep." I replied as I walked back into the kitchen.

"Great." Noah grinned. "Let's go."

Noah and I left the house, and I locked the door. We walked across the yard to Noah's car. He owned a late model ford GT, which I didn't really understand. He was a sales rep for an international company sure... but I wasn't sure that his income would be enough to pay for such an expensive car. Maybe he was just really good at what he did.

"Like it huh?" He mused as he unlocked it. He threw the keys at me, luckily I had quick reflexes and caught them in one hand. "Then Drive it."

"I couldn't." I whispered running my hands over the glossy black paintwork.

"Yeah you can. Come on. Live a little."

Those words coming from Mackenzie had filled me with the urge to rebel, and it was much the same with Noah saying it, only this time I didn't feel an overwhelming need to prove myself to him.

I grinned and walked around the car to the drivers side. Noah leaned against the car and looked down at me. "Challenge accepted."

Noah dropped his hand to the car door and opened it for me. He ushered me in and once I sat down on the plush leather seat he closed the door and walked to the passengers side. Once we were both in and belted up, I started the car. The engine purred and I could feel it through my body, the roar of the motor was barely contained and I hadn't even left the driveway yet. I smiled as I backed out, and tried to ignore the thumping in my chest.