-How to vacation-

En başından başla

I shuffled down the sand, kicking my shoes off beside his and bending down to roll up my pants.
He still hadn't noticed me. I crept up behind him, the waves masking my splashing as I joined him. Even once I was standing directly next to him, he hadn't realized I was there.
Until he opened his eyes.

"Jeez Louise Neeks!" He yelped, jumping and splashing the water over the both of us. I laughed and smiled at the sun. He stared at me with wide eyes and a hand over his heart, breathing heavily.
"You scared the crap out of me! How'd you sneak up on me like that?"

"You're sort of dumb," I flashed him a sideways grin. His jaw dropped and then quickly recovered into a pout.

"Ok, rude," He snatched my hand from my side, holding it as consolation. I chuckled and rested my head on his arm.

"It's so nice out here," I breathed quietly. A warm gust of wind from the water blew through us, catching my words and taking them away.

"It is," Will replied, squeezing my hand. I got a chill through me- not from being cold, but from the lack of human contact in my life, and not being used to it now.

The water was incredibly clear. A few feet away there was a little silver fish swimming around in circles. I pointed it out to Will, who watched it intently. He looked genuinely happy here.
He turned to gaze at me, and reached over with his other hand and ran it through my hair.

"You're so beautiful Neeks," Will mumbled, making me blush. He bent down and kissed me on the cheek. I flushed harder.

We stood in the shallow water and watched the waves breaking at the top of the reef. At the restaurant we ate at the night before, the guy serving us was Canadian but had lived in Puerto Morelos for the past 13 years, and told us that just out in front of our condo laid the second largest coral reef in the world.
We decided we had to go scuba diving on our trip.

I dug my toes in the blindingly white sand. I took a deep breath, inhaling the clean air, and with an unspoken agreement we walked back.

After cleaning the sand off our feet we headed inside. Will changed into a proper shirt while I changed int a pair of black swim shorts. Real clothes were too hot in Mexico.

Then, hand in hand, we left the condo with money in our pockets.
The sun rising higher in the sky and people were up and about. We passed colourful condos and houses into town, waving back at people who nodded good morning.

Some people smiled at our interlocked hands, while others grimaced and looked away. I tried not to feel self conscious, but... well, it was hard. I wasn't completely used to it. I squirmed, looking at my feet, but Will just pulled me closer to him. I glanced at him and saw him smiling at me brightly. He wasn't afraid. I could help but smile back slowly. If I wanted to improve, exposure therapy was the best way to feel less afraid.

We neared the end of the road that opened up to the town square, passing the restaurant we ate at the night before. Across from it on the other side of the street was a breakfast smoothie and coffee shop. The place was small, like most other places here, and painted bright robins egg blue. It was cute, all open wide, with plants everywhere. It smelled like fresh fruit and coffee grinds.
We passed by people sitting at patio tables drinking their morning coffee. Will inhaled deeply and sighed in relief. He was a whore for coffee.

We arrived at the counter where a friendly looking older lady was milling around. She noticed us immediately and grinned widely.