Chapter 18: Catch Me If You Can

Start from the beginning

"Where will you be?" I asked him as I bashfully took my seat. Noticing the curious glances I got from the crowd.

"I normally would be beside Zayden, but that spot is now taken by Jessie. So, I will be right beside you," he smiled, standing beside me.

"What is this ceremony for?"

"It is to announce Jessie as the Princess of Nishiba" Ryuu explained quietly.

I saw his dark green gaze focused behind me. I glanced behind me and there was the King, Queen, Zayden, and Jessie walking towards the throne chairs. My stomach flipped over nervously.

Everyone became dead silent, giving the King and Queen their attention as the sat at their thrones. Curious glances from the crowd kept bouncing from me, and I assumed, Jessie.

Queen Aya leaned over to me, so I could hear her, "there's no need to be nervous darling, Ryuu and I will make sure you are looked after," she said softly, leaning back into her throne. I glanced up at her, giving a small smile and mouthed a 'thank you.'

King Aiden rose from his seat, "good evening ladies and gentlemen," his voice boomed across the open space. "I gathered us here today, to make a few announcements and celebrate some new members of the royal family."

The crowd began cheering. Expressions went from serious to joyful. King Aiden rose his hand for silence and it only took a couple seconds the crowd to completely quiet down. The king gestured towards Zayden and Jessie, who both rose from their seats.

"My son Zayden, has chosen Alpha Tyson's daughter to marry. She will become our princess and future queen. Alpha Tyson's pack will become part of our alliance here, please welcome them with kindness," everyone began cheering and clapping.

More people filed into the crowd, greeting each other. Did I just hear the King say, Zayden CHOSE her? My blood began to boil, I gripped the arm of the chair tightly. I assumed the people walking into the crowd were Alpha Tyson's pack. After a few minutes, the King asked for silence once again.

"My son's wedding will be in one month and Jessie will be crowned princess then," he nodded at Zayden and Jessie as they both sat back down. Jessie's posture was prideful, she looked like she was enjoying the center of attention. "Now, for the final announcement before our celebration," the King continued, making a gesture towards me. Instantly, I felt the pressure from all the gazes of the crowd. The center of attention was way out of my comfort zone. Feeling awkward I looked at the Queen for help, she gave me a kind smile.

"Just stand sweetie," Queen Aya said quietly enough that only I could hear her. Trusting her, I stood up, making sure my posture was straight and looked confident even though I felt completely insecure.

"This lovely young lady here is Princess Lillith," the King began explaining as gasps escaped from the crowd.

"Our lost Princess!" someone yelled from the crowd, then everything went quiet as the King held up his hand for silence.

"Yes, our lost princess has returned and it is important that she is protected. Not a word of this spreads outside of our society. She has been here a while now and deserves her rightful place as princess. She will be crowned, now," King Aiden declared.

I kept glancing over at Queen Aya for approval to make sure I didn't do anything dumb. King Aiden nodded at me, so I took my seat. I heard footsteps behind me, as something was placed on my head. A crown. Everyone in the crowd began to bow down. It made me feel in awe and... powerful?

"Everyone may rise and let's all celebrate!" King Aiden protested.

Everyone began cheering and dispersing. Music began playing as a clear circle was made in front of us. King Aiden held out his hand to Queen Aya, she took it and he led her to the cleared-out circle. He swung her around gracefully as they began dancing to the tunes of the music. Movement caught the edge of my eye, I looked over to see Zayden leading Jessie to the same area, they began to dance, laughing and talking.

"Ahem. May I have this dance, Your Royal Highness?" Ryuu was standing with his hand held out waiting for me to take it.

I smiled up at him, he sure knew how to make me feel a little better. He was true to his word, that he would be with me through this. I took his hand and followed him to the dance floor. He held me close, spinning me around here and there delicately. Other people started joining in to dance. I realized I felt okay, mostly because Ryuu was keeping me together.

"So, how does it feel to be the official Princess?" Ryuu teased, his grinning making his eyes squinty in an adorable way.

"It feels surreal. Why does she become Queen eventually, when I am the one born with the position?" A low growl escaped me as I glanced over at Jessie and Zayden.

They looked close and happy, like the perfect couple. My heart immediately began aching and my wolf whimpered.

"Hey now, it doesn't mean you will have no chance of being queen," he tried to comfort me. "Time to switch partners," Ryuu winked as he spun me out and let go of my hand, but someone else caught me.

My skin began tingling with faded sparks from where his hands touched me. Realizing it was Zayden, I pushed myself away, but he wouldn't let go. Avoiding making a scene, I gave up my struggle and tried to go with the flow. I kept a distance between us as we danced, refusing to look at him. I noticed that everyone had switched partners.

"I owe you an explanation," Zayden started speaking quietly. I snapped my gaze at him glaring. His beautiful dark gaze had no calming effect for how much pain he had caused me.

"You owe me nothing," I said through gritted teeth.

"Listen, I love you Lillith," his voice sounded strained and pleading, which made my heartache. I had to fight the urge to not comfort him. Kiss him! Claim him! My wolf jumped up in happiness at his words.

"If you loved me, you wouldn't be with her," I scorned, "you do not value love, you just take and hurt people-" fighting back tears, I pushed against his chest forcefully, trying to get free.

I couldn't handle this. My wolf whimpered, feeling my pain. He finally let go and everyone near us was staring at me, the dancing slowly coming to a stop as people took notice of my distress. Stumbling backward towards a way that led out of here, I turned on my heels and ran, not looking back. Take over!  I told my wolf, bracing for the shift.

Once shifted, we ran into the woods and kept running. Someone was following me because I could hear their wolf's footsteps running behind me. Sniffing the air, since I am downwind, the scent was Ryuu. Thankfully it was not Zayden, or someone I didn't know. I sped up, feeling the wind and the dirt beneath my paws made me feel free.

Zzzing... I heard the sound before I could even comprehend what was happening, then it hit me. The stinging pain the shot through my neck. My wolf whimpered in pain, and we had to slow down to a walk. Losing our balance as the tree's in front of us turned into fours. My eyelids quickly got heavy and my body became numb as I stumbled onto my face and stomach. I searched for Ryuu but couldn't see him. My eyelids got so heavy I faded into a pit of blackness.

Audience:

**What do you think is going to happen next?

**How does everyone like Ryuu so far?

**Anyone disliking Zayden yet?

Again, thank you for reading my fellow readers!

xoxoxo