The Hills Have Eyes

Start from the beginning

"And I'd still be the third wheel. Whatever. Have your stupid couples' weekend."

The lake house—more commonly know as Lodge Lodge to Veronica and Mickey—was always their thing. It was their escape from the fast life in New York. For Mickey, it feels weird that Veronica will be going to go without her.

"Are you mad?"

"I'll wait downstairs."

"It's all a little too Big Love for me." Kevin spins around from Moose and bumps right into Mickey.

Mickey looks behind him to see a defeated Moose walking away. "What was that about?"

"Apparently Midge knows everything about Moose and I and wants to hang out," Kevin snorts.

"What? Are they into polygamy or something?"

He shrugs. "I'd rather not get into a complicated situation like that."

She stops walking and faces Kevin. "So, I'm suppose to be heading up hill with Veronica and friends but how about we hang out for a couple of days?"

"Sure, but why don't you want to go with your sister?"

"Veronica's going to our family's lake house for a couples thing and I don't want to fifth wheel. We can have our own fun sleepover, right?"

"Of course," Kevin beams. "I'll catch you later."

Mickey walks into the lounge without Kevin and takes a seat on the arm of Veronica's sofa. "What're we talking about?" Out of habit, her eyes avert to Jughead and before she can tear them away, he catches her. Instead of keeping contact, he buries his head into his writing.

 Instead of keeping contact, he buries his head into his writing

Things have been as expected between them. They haven't interacted at all and they both know that's for the best. It's the reason Mickey has been distancing herself from the group.

"Our retreat," Veronica squeezes Mickey's hand excitedly. "Fair warning. Our Shadow Lake chalet is rustic, but it has breath-taking views of the mountains, the water."

"Oh, my God," Betty says with a sense of relief. "That sounds heavenly, Vee." She reaches across and touches Jughead's knee, "What do you say, Jug? Can you bear it?"

Hesitantly, he turns to Veronica and Mickey, "As long as it's cool with your Dad."

"Mr. Lodge actually suggested it," Archie tells his friend.

"Well, then, cue the dueling banjos," Jughead grins.

Betty forces a smile at her boyfriend's joke, but Archie, Veronica, and Mickey don't give that same effort.