Night of the Comet

excerpt: Mickey can feel her heart crack open a little more

It's not every day you lean that you're at ground zero of an extinction-level event. In a few hours, Bailey's Comet is going to obliterate Riverdale, one last twist of the knife, courtesy of Percival Pickens. And there was nothing anyone could do to stop it—or apparently escape.

Archie's head swivels in Toni's direction. "What did you find out?"

A dejected Toni tells him, "I've had the Serpents out all night, on every road and every highway. And all along the town's limits, there's some sort of invisible barrier completely surrounding Riverdale, and it's keeping us from leaving it."

From beside her, Fangs says, "Yeah, it gets crazier, though. When we were out there on the highway, a car drove into town. Like there was no barrier."

"So it's basically, like, we're trapped in a roach motel. You can get in, but you can't get out," Betty summarizes.

Veronica looks to Jughead with a mix of hope and desperation. "What about opening a portal? I mean, I'll take any dimension over this one at the moment."

"I tried," he informs all of them. "I can only open portals within town limits. No other dimension."

"Tabitha, what about you?" Archie looks to her. "Have you tried to time travel?"

Tabitha sighs. "Every timeline I've gone to—past and future—there's always a comet that's about to destroy Riverdale imminently."

Kevin runs his hand over his face. "How the hell is this happening?"

"It's Percival."

"But was he really powerful enough to get Bailey's Comet to change course? I mean, it's a comet."

Heather nods, "He is, and powerful enough to weave the binding spell that's keeping us all trapped here."

Mickey frowns. "Shouldn't, like, the government try to shoot the comet out of the sky or something? Why isn't this all over the Internet?"

"It's a facet of the spell," Heather explains. "Percival doesn't want anyone to help us, so as far as the world is concerned, Bailey's Comet is passing over Riverdale tonight, as it has every year."

"Great," Mickey claps her hands together, forcing a tight smile on her face. "So that's it then. We're all going to die. I'm so happy I moved here sophomore year."

"Well, not everyone's going to die." Betty exhales, glancing at her boyfriend, "Archie's invulnerable."

Moose, the newest member of the inner circle wonders, "What about Baby Anthony?"

"He's immortal."

Toni says, "Archie and I have already talked about that. They might be the only ones that survive this, especially if they're in the bunker when the comet hits."