Chapter 3.2: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

Chapter 3:

RAINSWORTH HOUSEHOLD

It was still early in the morning, but a young boy with curly brown hair and green orbs was walking towards the second floor, carrying a tray of toast, hot milk, and 2 boiled eggs.

Elliot arrived at Katherine's bedroom and knocked using their secret code. When Katherine heard their secret knock, she got up from her bed and gleefully opened the door "GOOD MORNING ELLI!". When Elliot saw her dashing smile, he felt at bliss and was instantly filled with happiness.

He entered the room and placed the tray at the center table before replying, "Good morning Kath, Did you sleep well?". Katherine jumped up and down, clearly showing her excitement. "I couldn't sleep at all! I'm so excited to see Veronica and Christopher again". Elliot chuckled as he pat her head.

"Let's get you ready then so we can go to school early". Elliot is also studying at the same school through a scholarship; he always ranked first in his whole level ever since he first entered Briar Academy. He clearly showed all the haughty nobles that mocked him during his first day that he was no pushover and despite being born from a lowly status, he was clearly better than them.

Katherine stared at the door as if waiting for someone, "Elli, where is Macey?" Kath asks. "Mother is helping out at the kitchen right now, Lord Philip will host a party later on so everyone is busy for the preparation so I will be the one to help you dress up today". Elliot smiled as he pinch Katherine's rosy cheeks, Katherine smiled back but her eyes was still filled with curiosity, thinking of the guests who will be attending at tonight's banquet.

After eating the prepared breakfast, Elliot quickly helped Katherine with her preparation.

Katherine wore a frilly pink dress, a boater with a long pink ribbon and her favorite white leather boots. Elliot tied her hair in two sets of braids and placed a pearl hairclip beside her ear. "There! Perfect!" Elliot exclaimed. Katherine looked at her image in front of the mirror and spun around to check her every angle before she got satisfied. "Thank you very much Elli!" she said happily.

Elliot only smiled in response as he continued watching her happily grabbing her things; Kath's happiness was his happiness, her smile was his greatest treasure. 'I'm willing to do anything just to see you continue smiling', this was an oath he made to himself.

As she finished her preparations she ran downstairs but halfway through the staircase she bumped into someone and she fell in her buttocks. "...Ouch", a hand forcefully grabbed her up and there she saw her Father scowling "A lady never runs down the stairs! I see that you still lack knowledge regarding basic etiquette, I'll have to add you more lessons" Philip said disdainfully. Katherine can only look down as her body trembles slightly, she was scared, she was scared of the man in front of her. "I'm... I'm sorry Father", that was the only thing she was able to utter as cold sweat started forming behind her back.

Her body continued trembling as remembered what Philip did to her after they got home from the palace last two months ago.

She was facing the wall as Philip continued hitting her thighs using his cane, no matter how much she apologizes, no matter how loud she screams as she cries for help while continuously begging her Father to have mercy, he still continued hitting her for an hour.

He only stopped when he saw that she wasn't able to stand anymore and blood started to ooze from her legs. Philip then left after spitting at her face, as soon as he left the room, Macey and Elliot quickly went inside. When they saw her body lying down limply, her eyes was lifeless, her hair was a mess and blood flowing nonstop at her legs, tears immediately started flowing from the mother and son pair.

Elliot carried her slowly towards the bed; each step was slow as he was careful not to put too much pressure on her thighs. He laid her down as Macey gently wipe the blood away using ice water.

The last thing she could remember before she lost passing out was the voice of Macey asking her forgiveness because they weren't able to do protect her.

She closed her eyes to prevent herself from remembering that horrid night further. Remembering it still gives shivers down her spine. Her Father was ruthless towards her, this was a fact she started accepting slowly.

Philip looked at Elliot who was standing behind Katherine and coldly scoffed. "You there bastard, Don't forget your place as a servant of my daughter, though you go to the same school, you're still of unequal status". Philip reprimanded as he shove Katherine to Elliot.

Elliot catches Katherine before she falls down again, he clenched his teeth as he stop the forming rage inside. He bowed quickly before replying. "Yes My Lord". Philip snorted before walking down the stairs and entering a carriage.

When the carriage disappeared from their line of sight, Elliot held Katherine's hands as he tried comforting her when he noticed her body was still trembling.

"It's okay Kath, I'm here beside you". Katherine looked at Elliot's face as tears suddenly poured out of her eyes due to relief. Elliot then hugged her tight while caressing her back; her sobs were like thorns in his heart, he feels an immeasurable pain seeing her tears flow out. "I will grow stronger so I can protect you" he vowed as he hugged Katherine tighter.

Elliot wiped her tears away as he allowed her to calm down first. "Let's go to school Kath, let's not ruin your first day, I'll visit you at your room at lunch time ok?".

Katherine nodded her head and held the helm of Elliot's shirt. "You'll be okay. Remember? today you'll be seeing your friends again so you need to cheer up, Do you want them to see you look like an abandoned puppy?" Elliot tried saying a light joke which magically worked as Katherine shaked her head while giggling.

They entered the carriage together and as time passed by, Elliot broke the silence. "Kath my classroom is at the first room at the left side of the staircase on the second floor, don't hesitate to come to me anytime ok?" Katherine nodded her head and Elliot kissed her forehead. "Elli, will you always stay by my side?". She said reluctantly. "I'll never leave you Kath, even if you want me to" he hugged her again and his warmth made her anxiety fade, she finally felt safe. The two then held each other's hand all throughout the journey.