New Beginnings

New school year, different school, no friends. Not like I need any, but it sure gets lonely sometimes. I just moved for the nth time again this year. Ever since my Mom died three years ago, there wasn't any time for Dad and I to settle somewhere. As he is a corporate lawyer for a big company, he needs to visit some branches all over different states, if not visit, he would need to stay there for quite some time. Hence, I get dragged along, now I know what you're thinking, why don't I stay at a relative's place right? It's a great idea, if only we had relatives left, from what I know of, we don't anymore.

By the third time Dad and I needed to move again, I stopped unpacking my stuff, I just had the essentials for school out, everything else stayed in a box. I don't make friends anymore, because it's hard to keep in touch. Save for the childhood friends I had back in Texas which I message on the daily, even video call them from time to time.

My name is Devin Lennon, 17 and an only daughter of my Father. My mom died when I was 14, My mom was Filipina and Dad is an American. That is how I usually start introducing myself in class. I don't tell them any other details, just that my Mom died. Ever since the tragic car accident my Mom died in, I never stopped mentioning to people that my Mom died of a terrible accident. I guess it is my way of reminding myself not to drink and drive or maybe to simply keep her memory alive.

Today, for the nth time, I would be giving the class the same speech, I brace myself for the questioning looks or the sad 'empathic' faces the girls would give me. I don't cry anymore of the loss, my eyes may have ran out of tears to cry. So, I just smile.

I'm dressed in skinny jeans, a black tank top and a flannel shirt over my tank top. The sleeves of my flannel shirt were folded 3/4s of the way up to my elbows. I'm wearing DC sneaks. I got in school just in time. I got to the principal's office.

"Hello, good morning. I'm looking for Mrs. Walker, the Principal?" I said to the old woman sitting and typing something behind the counter.

"Oh, you must be the new student? Devin Lennon?" She said smiling.

"Yes, I am." I politely smiled back.

"You may go inside." she says shortly.

"Thank you." I smiled at her.

I knocked at the door, thrice before letting myself in. The principal Mrs. Walker looked up and smiled at me.

"Hello, Ms. Devin Lennon. Please have a seat." She motioned for me to sit down.

I did so on one of the chairs in front of her desk.

"Hi, Mrs. Walker, Dad told me to come see you before classes start."

"Yes, your dad informed me that you're not that good in making friends, he asked me to assign you a buddy." She smiled.

"Mrs. Walker, there's really no need for one. I can handle myself." I said a little shyly.

She was about to speak when she was interrupted by a knock on the door.

A beautiful girl stood there, by the looks of it, a student like me. Mrs. Walker smiled at her and called her.

"Come in Ms. Peters and have a seat."

She took a seat across me and smiled at me.

"Devin, this is Myrtle Peters, she will be your school buddy, that I have chosen." Mrs. Walker introduced her to me.

"Myrtle, this is Devin Lennon, she's a transferee. I hope you don't mind showing her around." Mrs. Walker said to her.

She eagerly smiled and answered