Epilogue

Devin's confession was swift. "I killed my sister." And that was it. She pled guilty, and was sentenced to twenty-five to life. She ruined her parents' lives; they no longer had children, therefore they no longer needed to stay together.

Chase was left broken, wondering why this all happened. He resented his best friend for everything he had that Chase did not, but now Chase seemed to have everything, and he couldn't handle it. Life as he once knew it, a sheltered, quiet one, was over.

Rachey and Lacey, Rachel and Elacia, were left to pick up the pieces. They had to explain the murders of two well-loved teens, and the sentencing of the afformentioned teen's sister. They had no time to grieve, and eventually collapsed in a pool of sorrow one night, together, as they sat on the cliff and made up stories of the two lovers' adventures wherever they are.

Everyone felt broken, but one thing they knew for sure: Those teens are out there, looking over them, and laughing as they enjoyed a better life than they could have ever gotten on earth.

********************************************

Depressing! Yeeeezus lol I bet none of you will actually like this ending cause quite frankly I believe that every story deserves some sort of closure, and barely anyone got it.

Yassss this ending has been done before, but what can I say? I'm a talentless do-nothing girl who just wants to express her ideas on paper for random people to read to their heart's content. This is how I envisioned it, and this is how it will stay...maybe ;p

NOW FOR THE REASON IT WAS LIKE A HORRIBLE ENDING:

In my mind, A Separate Peace had a HORRIBLE ending. Gene was not happy in the end, nobody was happy in the end. So I guess the happiest characters were her best friends, and even they ended the story in sadness. I tried to make it as close to the boon as possible without actually making it close to the book, so I would put their character flaws in there, but spin the story a little bit. Example:

At the end, when Chase told Flynn that he was basically the reason the love of his life was dead, Flynn was in denial. This happened in A Separate Peace when the boys all told Finny that Gene was the one who pushed him out of the tree, and Finny refused to believe it. Flynn showed denial A LOT in this book, btw, not just there.

Another is the main theme in A Separate Peace. SPOILER ALERTS HERE: the school was Gene and Finny's "separate peace" from the war, just like the school here was their separate peace from their families, though Chase's fam isn't talked about. Anyway, Finny talked down the war, encouraging Gene not to become a soldier, when it was actually Finny's dream to be drafted. Similarly, Flynn talked down relationships, when all he really wanted was a relationship with Blair, but he never got it just like Finny would never have made it into the military.

I may or may not make an analysis chapter, if I am not too lazy and if y'all want it :p

Thanks for reading, and I love you all SOOOO much <3 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo