Chapter 9: Why Are You Not Him?

It was seven when I left the gym to meet Chase. I was all tuckered out and if I hadn't been so curious to know the reason for this dinner, I would tell Chase I wasn't in the mood.

When I got to the dorm, I barely had time to change before I looked out the dorm window to see Chase walking towards it. I threw on jean shorts and a white flowy tank top with gray converse, and threw my sweaty hair into a pony tail.

I rushed down to the lounge, nodding at the woman working at the desk, and opened the doors to a well-kempt looking Chase. I nodded my approval.

"You look nice, Chase. What's the occasion?" I asked jokingly.

"Thanks, Blair. You always look nice." He smiled, and a slight blush rose to my cheeks as I returned it. "And I don't think I look much different than I usually do, but we are going out to eat. I have to make myself look somewhat presentable."

I nodded, laughing. "Whatever you say, Chase. Lead the way, then!" I started to walk next to him, and almost jumped out of my skin when I felt his slightly dry hand grab mine. I was so in shock that I couldn't even make a sound, or tell him to let go. I was suddenly dreading this dinner tonight.

*****************************************

I wish you were Flynn.

That was the thought running through my mind as Chase did pretty much everything that annoyed me at this dinner between friends.

He looked around anxiously, knees shaking so hard they shook the table. He had nothing to say, unlike Flynn who would be telling me stories right about now. He didn't try to start conversation, which is understandable for such a nervous person who is out on what he hopes is a date, which is most likely his first. I had to ask him questions, the usual, "how was school?" "What did you do tonight?" "What are you ordering?" And he gave me short answers. "Fine." "Nothing really." "Steak." How is one supposed to work with those answers? Which had me thinking, again, why am I not with Flynn?

Why am I here and not with him? Why did he say we shouldn't hang out anymore? Why am I still here?!

I sighed tiredly as I realized he wasn't going to talk. I looked up at him to see him hanging his head in defeat. The poor kid, I thought. If I knew I was attractive to him I never would've pushed him to be my friend. I wouldn't have bugged him so badly. This must be as awful for him as it is for me.

Suddenly, his head shot up to my face, and he looked determined. "Look, Blair. I'm sorry this has gotten off to such a rough start. I'm not a conversationalist. I barely like talking to the friends I do have, which is actually only one person other than you. I feel the need to defend myself because I can tell you aren't having a good time, and I can cut the tension in the air with a butter knife. So, let's start over." He sat up straighter, and smiled brightly, causing my eyes to widen at the sight I've never seen before. "How was basketball today?" He asked, so I answered thoroughly, unlike he did with his short answers.

Chase looked interested in everything I said as he even talked strategy with me. I didn't even know he knew what a basketball was...

He was actually surprisingly good dinner company, considering the rocky start we had. I laughed loudly when he talked about some not-so smart people in his class, and about his quirky friend and the antics they pulled throughout their high school career.

One event was when they were freshman. His friend is apparently a very convincing person, and extremely hard to say no to. He made Chase come with him during the middle of the night to one of the teacher's rooms, and put worms and other critters in bottles around the place, for example, shampoo bottles and inside peanut butter jars. Teachers have rooms like mini apartments, unlike the students, so they have a kitchen and living room in their suites.