8 || Caught In Two Imperial Romances

🌅Song- Lucy- by Jooyoung; Deep Shower Rework🌅

Hua Xiao Dan P.O.V.- 

This was crazy. No this was beyond insane. There was absolutely no way that the emperor had fallen in love with me. He must have really been on a high fever to say such absurd things. His words rang in my ears like a thousand bells being struck. "Would you ever love someone like me?" Would I? I really shouldn't have been overreacting, yet he clearly indicated that it was to be. That he loved me. 

"Oh dear Jade Emperor, please tell me this isn't true." I ran through the rain back to my room. It was pouring outside, and the thunder roared loudly as if it had predicted my bad state.

"Mommy, are you okay?" Jia exclaimed when I came in the room soaking wet with widened eyes, hair splattered across my face, and a shaking body. I tried my best to reassure her. 

"Um, mommy is going to take a bath and be right back." I went to the bathing room and froze myself in the cold water. My eyes shut and I shivered, but it helped in calming myself down. I dressed and returned to Jia. She protested because I wouldn't tell her what was wrong and I put her to bed. Even the usually warm sheets were cold with fear. My eyes opened and closed, trying to shake off the emperor's confession. 

"It's just a nightmare. Just a nightmare. It's not real." I whispered to myself before finally drifting off to sleep. The morning brought many realizations to my mind. The emperor could never marry me, he had to marry someone royal. 

It wasn't like I would let him marry me, right? Why was I thinking about marriage? He only told me he loved me. Get your mind straight Ara! I was called to the emperor, the very person I didn't wish to meet. Still, I had to go and face him no matter what. My outfit today reflected my mood, conflicted and sorrowful. 

The dark blue robe had black cranes printed on it and the folds were straight and stiff. In my hair, I tied a small bun with a gray silk cloth, letting my hair down. I was told to go to a special room where the prince was. The village never talked about a prince, only the emperor, so I had no idea that he had a younger brother. As I entered the room, Huang's eyes followed me around the room like an eagle stalking its prey. 

"Physician Xiao Dan, the prince arrived yesterday night and caught a cold. Look after him." A scholar instructed me. 

"Of course." I nodded and approached the man sleeping on the bed. As I got closer, I realized his face looked very familiar. He looked just as handsome as the emperor was, as expected from a family member, but he projected a hint of discomfort in his sleep. 

"Please take care of Prince Zheng, Physician Xiao Dan." the emperor told me and left. 

He did not call me Hua'er this time, which showed me he did not want to regard me as a close friend any longer. 

"I will emperor." I nodded, but was distracted by something else and I didn't see the hurt look on his face when he walked away. 

Prince Zheng? That was his name? He must of had the same name as....someone I used to love. I shrugged off the thought and began to soak a cloth to place on his forehead. Suddenly, as I was wiping his face, his hand grabbed mine and his eyes fluttered open. I guessed that grabbing hands must have run in the family since Huang did it all the time.

"Who are you?" His voice was weak but still had power in it. 

"I am Hua Xiao Dan. I was told to treat you." I replied. He squinted his eyes and gasped. 

"Hua Xiao Dan?" He blinked and sat up. 

"You should rest, it's better for your health." I told him without a clue of why he was so shocked. He clutched my hands tightly and made me stare into his deep almond shaped eyes.