Across the Universe - 3 - I Am the Walrus

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together
See how they run like pigs from a gun see how they fly
I'm crying

J'onn, the most recent person who Sybok had 'helped', followed along as Sybok rode. "I said, 'I think we should go to Paradise City.'"

"Oh and why is that?" asked Sybok.

"They have a communications array."

"True," allowed the Vulcan, "but I don't want to simply go there; we should enter as conquerors! What's the name of that human Federation representative again?"

"St. John Talbot."

"Yes, yes, if I can capture his pain, then it'll be far easier." Sybok thought for a moment. "I will go on ahead. Follow later, when you are able. But not too late. I'll be leaving this so-called Planet of Galactic Peace as soon as I can." He pressed his heels into the sides of the horse, which galloped off, as well as it could.

J'onn stood and stared after the disappearing figure of Sybok on horseback. "I will follow."

=/\=

Paradise City was neither a paradise, nor was it anything that could be rightfully referred to as a city. Yet it was the only organized settlement on Nimbus III. The planet was supposed to be for settlers. It was to have been a mecca for eager young colonists with families to raise, and trades to ply.

Instead, it was a lie made manifest, a monument to greed and indifference and wishful thinking. The ground was not arable, the climate was not congenial, and the sights and heritage were nonexistent. It was too hot to be a skiers' destination, and too barren to support a football franchise or an arts community. It was really just the godforsaken armpit of the galaxy, if not the universe.

For Sybok, it had been a refuge and a desired destination. As he had matured, he had chafed under the strictures of the last vestiges of the Vulcan royal family. His sole ambition became the goal of causing them discomfort. He had, to that end, discarded logic, embraced emotion, and had sought the worst places in the galaxy to lay his head. Nimbus III fit his requirements rather neatly.

In order to get there, he had needed funding. And that had, several years previously, led him to locate his father on Vulcan. Sarek's new family was a thoroughly unexpected bonus. And a human stepmother! Surely she would find a way to bypass Sarek and fund Sybok's twisted dreams.

But instead the visit had swiftly turned sour. There was much that had been kept from the child, Spock, and that was the biggest part of it. Amanda and Sarek had had a disagreement, and Sarek had resorted to asking his first born to leave. As Sarek and Amanda again discussed what to do, Sybok had been left to his own devices, and he had gone to speak to the child, his half-brother.

In that respect, Spock's memories were complete and accurate. Sybok had told him to retain his childhood for as long as possible. But the moment was cut short, as Sarek presented Sybok with his few packed belongings, again tied into a bundle for traveling.

As Sarek had looked away, Amanda had pressed a few coins into Sybok's hand. This was not the sole act of charity. When Sybok opened his bundle that evening, he found a few packets of toasted flat cakes made of grain, enough provisions for several days.

The coins had gotten him as far as Andoria, and the sweat of his brow had, eventually, gotten him to Nimbus III. But that had been years ago. Extracting other people's personal pain and overdoing the mind melding and touch telepathy had changed Sybok.

He no longer wished to mortify the last vestiges of the Vulcan royal family. Instead, he wanted to spread his word to a true Eden, and not the false promise of Nimbus III and Paradise City. He fancied himself a prophet and a preacher, and all he wanted was to fulfill his perceived destiny, in a legendary place known as Sha Ka Ree.