The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 33

Start from the beginning

"That was one hell of an attack..." I mutter out dizzily. Naruto nods, before glancing behind Shukaku worriedly.

"Hey, Chief Toad! Try to lure him over this way, Sakura is over there! If she gets hit with these attacks, she's done for!" Naruto informs. I set my mouth in a straight line, a grim look on my face. He's right, Sasuke, Sakura, and Pakkun could all get caught up in this battle.

"Sakura?" 

"That's his girlfriend, Pops!" Gamakichi informs the confused toad. He sighs, the task getting more and more difficult each passing second. As if to prove my point, Gaara comes out of the beast's head, his hands in a hand sign.

"What is he doing?" Naruto asks. I shake my head, not knowing what was happening either. The Chief Toad grumbles to himself, a weary look in his eyes.

"Those are clear signs of insomnia... he's the medium of the Shukaku, so he can't fall asleep without having night terrors. As a result, the medium's personality is changed with the lack of sleep. In order to keep Shukaku in check, the medium needs to be awake. If he falls asleep... Shukaku is given free reign, which would be trouble for us."

"Tanuki Neiri no Jutsu..." Gaara grumbles out, before slumping over asleep. What luck we have.

"Uh oh, this isn't good..." Gamakichi comments, as Shukaku's true spirit comes through. He laughs manically, a crazed look in his eyes.

"I'm finally free! Now... it's time for you to die!" he shouts, sending an air bullet our way. Chief Toad bends his knees, preparing to move out of the way.

"I'm going to jump, so you better hold on!" he says, jumping high into the air. The pressure forces Naruto and I to lay flat on his head as we soar over the demon's head. Shukaku sends another three air bullets our way, to which Chief Toad counters with a couple of liquid bullets, although he isn't able to make a third one.

"Here it comes!" 

Shukaku's air bullet slams against Chief Toad's chin, causing an explosion to rattle all of us. I struggle to hold onto his head, using all of my strength to keep from falling off. Across from me, Naruto is beginning to slip down, his face revealing his panic.

"Naruto-kun, grab on!" I instruct, taking a hold of his hand as we begin to fall to the ground, yet remarkably still on the toad's head.

"Are you alright?" I ask Naruto hastily as soon as we settle, pulling myself up to a sitting position. He nods painfully, rubbing the back of his head.

"That was one powerful attack... a few more of those and not even I will be able to stay standing!" Chief Toad announces, hopping out of the dust cloud seemingly unharmed.

"Kid, I'm gonna go in close, I need you to wake Gaara up! That's the only chance we have of winning!" the toad informs, preparing to dash straight for Shukaku.

"How the hell do I do that?!" Naruto demands as we come closer and closer to the beast before us. 

"Hit him or something! A good slug to the face should be enough!" Chief Toad answers, holding onto Shukaku's shoulders as Naruto prepares to jump forward towards Gaara. Unfortunately, Shukaku is able to shimmy out of the Chief's grip, backing away before Naruto could go forward.

"Hey, Chief! I need you to hold onto him longer so that I can get to Gaara!" Naruto informs. Chief Toad growls in frustration, quickly tiring from the battle with such a powerful being.

"I don't have any way to hold onto him for long enough. The only way to pull this off is for us to transform into something with claws and fangs so we can hold on longer! I'm no good at the Henge no Jutsu, so I say we go for a combined transformation! Although, that girl can't do it with us because that would be too many people..."