The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

"S-Sensei... I'm scared..." I sniffle, struggling to keep my tears in. Kakashi-sensei kneels down to me with a sigh.

"I know, Satomi. Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to your or Sasuke. I am your sensei, after all," Kakashi-sensei says cheekily, trying to lift my spirits. I smile at his effort, allowing him to pick me up and place me in the center of the room.

"I'm sorry we have to do this so soon, Satomi. But it has to be done," Kakashi-sensei apologizes. I shake my head, peering up at him.

"I barely have the strength to stay awake anymore, mostly because of this damn curse mark... it needs to be sealed. I can't wait for it to be sealed... after this is done, I'm sure to pass right out. Make sure Sasuke is safe before you even think about me," I say, preparing myself for the pain to come.

Kakashi-sensei nods wordlessly, beginning the long set of hand signs and slamming his hands to the floor. The marks travel up my body and into the mark, causing me to choke out screams of torment. All this mark does is bring me more and more pain... I'm sick of it.

The jutsu is soon completed, my curse mark sealed. I would not let it out anytime soon, that's for sure. Panting, I glance up at Kakashi-sensei one last time before my eyes roll into the back of my head and I collapse to the ground.

I could finally rest.

::

Groaning, I peel my eyes open, only to be faced with white walls surrounding me from all sides.

The hospital.

"You're finally awake," an amused voice says beside me. I bring my gaze to the boy, blinking with surprise as I'm met with a pair of pale eyes.

"N-Neji? What are you doing here?" I whisper. He sighs and closes his eyes, leaning back in his chair.

"I came to visit Lee, but it got annoying with Guy-sensei there. So, my next best option was you," he admits. My eyebrows scrunch in confusion. Lee is in the hospital?

"What happened during the preliminaries?" I question softly. He purses his lips, opening his eyes back up to look into my curious ones.

"First was Sasuke's fight, then yours, and everything went downhill from there. Next was Shino versus Zaku, Shino won. Then Misumi versus Kankuro, Kankuro won. Then it was Sakura versus Ino..." Neji says, catching my attention. Sakura went up against Ino? It actually seemed like the best matchup possible, in terms of matching strength.

"Did Sakura win?"

"It was a double knockout, so neither advanced," Neji quips. I frown in disappointment, although I was very proud of Sakura's growth. At least she didn't let Ino win.

"After that, it was Tenten versus Temari, Temari won. That match was completely unfair since it was Tenten's disadvantage. A wind user versus a weapons specialist? The wind user will win almost every time," Neji says bitterly.

"Next was Shikamaru versus Kin, and Shikamaru won. Then it was Naruto versus Kiba..." Neji continues. I perk up at Naruto's name. He must have won... there was no way he didn't. Not after everything that happened.

"Naruto won."

I sigh in relief, falling back against my pillow. Thank goodness... he would be devastated if he made it so far, only to lose before he could make it to the last exam.

"After their battle... was my battle with Hinata," Neji spits out. I raise an eyebrow, surprised at his disdain. Perhaps he lost?

"I won," he reveals, confusing me even more. I remember him having a negative reaction to her at the beginning of the exams, but I didn't realize his hatred ran this deep. It's a shame, really.

"Congratulations," I say. His lips quirk up ever so slightly, before returning to their usual unimpressed expression.

"Thanks. Anyways, after my battle was Lee's against Gaara... Lee lost. It was close, though... Very close," Neji says, a seemingly disheartened look on his face. I tilt my head in confusion. Sure, he lost, but at least he could try again next year.

"The injuries he suffered... he may never be able to become a shinobi again."

My eyes widen in disbelief at his statement. Gaara did that much damage?! Now I see why Neji is so disheartened...

"After Lee's battle was the last one, Dosu versus Choji. Dosu won easily," Neji finishes.

"What of the final exam?" I ask. Neji clicks his tongue, placing his hands together thoughtfully.

"The final exam is about a month. There will be one on one matches, like the preliminaries, but even if you lose your battle you still have the chance to become a chunin," he explains.

"What are the matchups for those?" I ask quietly, tilting my head in curiosity.

"First match is me versus Naruto."

I bolt upright in bed, eyes wide as I stare at Neji. Naruto is going to have to battle him?!

"Oh no... Neji, please... don't kill him. Or fatally injure him. I know what your byakugan can do..." I plead. Neji grunts, crossing his arms and turning his head away stubbornly.

"Anyways, the rest of the matches are Gaara versus Sasuke, Kankuro versus Shino, Temari versus Shikamaru, and you versus Dosu."

I groan and run a hand down my face. Sasuke is up against Gaara?! These matches were designed to kill off my best friend and brother, I swear.

"...thank you for coming, Neji," I whisper, turning my gaze away from him in embarrassment. Neji stares at me, trying to figure me out, no doubt.

"I didn't come for you..." Neji says stubbornly. A small smile graces my lips as I glance back at him, catching his pale eyes.

"I know you didn't. But still... I'm glad someone was beside me when I woke up. It's reassuring... especially after everything that has happened," I say, wrinkling my nose. Neji nods, keeping my gaze parallel to his.

"When my curse mark was activated... I want you to know that that wasn't me. I couldn't control it. If I could, I sure as hell wouldn't have let it run loose like that," I explain quietly. To be completely honest, I was ashamed of what I did and said while my curse mark was taking over.

"I know. Don't worry about it... a lot of things happened in those exams that shouldn't have," Neji reassures. I smile gently, laying back down on my side and just gazing at Neji. His eyes were enchanting... I felt at ease when I looked at them, strangely enough.

He stares right back, neither of us saying a word. The silence was comforting, after all of the chaos from the previous events.

I felt safe, for the first time in what seemed like so long.

::