The Strength of the Weak - Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

"I'm very sorry for my brother, he has a bit of an attitude problem. My name is Satomi Uchiha, and this is Sasuke," I respond to him, smiling gently. The Hyuga stares at me, his eyes unmoving as he tries analyzing me. I give nothing off, merely returning his gaze with my own.

"Neji Hyuga," he states curtly, turning around and walking away without another word. His female teammate follows after him. Sakura, being eager to register in time, grabs our hands and pulls us towards registration.

"Stop pulling us, Sakura!" Sasuke exclaims in annoyance, however he makes no move to stop her from pulling him. I smirk at him, letting myself be dragged as we begin to pass by training dummies.

"Hey! You, with the attitude!" A familiar voice calls out. We all turn around, having been let go by Sakura, and face Rock Lee, who had followed us. He jumps down from the balcony, landing confidently on his feet as he points as Sasuke.

"My name is Rock Lee, and I wish to battle with you. You said that it is common courtesy to give your name before challenging someone, right, Sasuke Uchiha?" he states. Sasuke smirks and steps up, placing a hand on his side mockingly.

"So you know who I am... yet you still wish to challenge me? Don't be a fool," Sasuke asserts. Sighing I step forward and face my team.

"I know where this is going, and we don't have time for it. Plus, I don't wanna stick around for it. Give me all of your applications, and I'll register you all while you have your battle with Lee," I say, holding my hand out for their applications. They each give me it with no hesitation, so I leave to make sure we register on time while Naruto and Sakura watch Sasuke's battle with Lee.

Walking up to room 301, Kakashi-sensei is standing beside the door, a book in his hand. His visible eye flicks up when he notices me approach.

"Are you the only one who came?" Kakashi-sensei inquires. I shake my head and hand him four applications, one for each of our team members.

"No, they are finishing up some business downstairs. I came to make sure we registered before it's too late," I respond. Kakashi-sensei sighs and looks at each of the applications wistfully.

"Then you may head through these doors," he says, moving to the side. I nod thankfully and place my hand on the handle, eyes flashing with determination.

"Satomi..." Kakashi-sensei starts, glancing down at me. I meet his gaze questioningly, to which he sighs and scratches the back of his head.

"Be careful in there. Those guys will kill you if given the chance... and I know you are strong, but don't let your guard down. Protect your teammates," he announces. I give him a bright smile, my resolve strengthening with his words.

"Don't worry, Kakashi-sensei. I know my own strength, as well as the others'. When we finish these exams... we will be chunin!" I claim confidently. Kakashi-sensei smiles underneath his mask and pats my head. I open the doors and walk through, alone, to which I receive numerous stares.

Glancing around the room for anyone I know, I spot Neji Hyuga leaning on the wall off to the side, and decide to go stand by him. Everyone's eyes trail me, but I ignore them all. Having no interest in me anymore, the teams go back to their conversations, letting me speak with Neji freely.

"What are you doing over here? Where is your team?" Neji asks, his eyes closed as if to look uninterested. I lean on the wall next to him, examining the competition with a watchful eye.

"I could say the same to you... although I do know that Lee challenged Sasuke to a battle downstairs a few minutes ago," I respond. Neji grunts in annoyance, shaking his head.